Notices
Northwest If you live in the North West (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Smittybilt XRC Armor and "the fuzz"

Old 02-12-2013, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been pulled over once in the nearly 2 years with this setup on my daily driver. If Jeremy is super concerned, I would start with adding rear mudflaps only. my guess is that if they saw an effort to cover the rear, they wouldn't hassle him on the fronts.

very cool upgrade!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cboggs has some removable rear flaps on his rig that attach to the frame rails; if I remember right they're made by Evo. I can post up pic tonight.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's the pic...

Closer shot
Old 02-13-2013, 08:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Yep, seen a lot of guys run those. I was at his house last night helping him finish it up and we were talking mud flap options. He's gonna build some and run with those for a while to see what happens. A few guys on here have brackets to mount them to the frame then remove them and hang on the tire swing so he's gonna do the same thing.

The Jeep looks pretty good. I was gonna take a picture of it finished last night but it was dark so I'll get a picture next time I see him to show everyone. His Rubicon sticker is red so he plasti-dip'd the beadlock rings red and the pockets inside the front fenders red to match. It has a pretty mean look to it.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I have xrc corner armor on my jeep and after putting the 6" long arm and 37's on the first trip to work in my jeep landed me an almost $800 citation. Not all for fenders, insurance card was expired by six days and fender flares/splash guards were the two citations. I took it to court and was able to get the whole thing dropped but the judge said he didnt think I should push my luck with the local enforcment unless I wanted to continue taking time off to fight tickets in court. I am also currently looking at removable flare extension options now.
On another note his bumper is illegal as is mine, front bumper is to be full width of vehicle and must be capable of bearing a load on the end. I was warned for that too.
Im not running any wheel spacers but most of my front tires are exposed and as the law states from the top down the rear to 50% of the tire must be covered to avoid spraying to the rear of the vehicle to be in compliance the full width of the tread. So im not sure whatever I build to put on will suffice the "fuzz" on that nor are some almost stock vehicles in compliance either. Any way good luck, my jeep is going on almost a year as a trailer queen without those flare extensions.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130213_114232.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	421829  
Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

As far as handling a load on the ends... The factory bumper can't pass that test, so I don't imagine it's an enforceable statute
Old 02-13-2013, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Agreed but if its not full width its low hanging fruit, he threatened to cite me on that to but didnt.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by fatboy044
Well I have xrc corner armor on my jeep and after putting the 6" long arm and 37's on the first trip to work in my jeep landed me an almost $800 citation. Not all for fenders, insurance card was expired by six days and fender flares/splash guards were the two citations. I took it to court and was able to get the whole thing dropped but the judge said he didnt think I should push my luck with the local enforcment unless I wanted to continue taking time off to fight tickets in court. I am also currently looking at removable flare extension options now.
On another note his bumper is illegal as is mine, front bumper is to be full width of vehicle and must be capable of bearing a load on the end. I was warned for that too.
Im not running any wheel spacers but most of my front tires are exposed and as the law states from the top down the rear to 50% of the tire must be covered to avoid spraying to the rear of the vehicle to be in compliance the full width of the tread. So im not sure whatever I build to put on will suffice the "fuzz" on that nor are some almost stock vehicles in compliance either. Any way good luck, my jeep is going on almost a year as a trailer queen without those flare extensions.
Thanks for the reply. I'm sure he'll just drive it and rack up the tickets. He's pretty familiar with side of the road interviews.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Old 02-14-2013, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice, it looks good.
Is that a four inch with 35's or 37's? I'm just getting ready to do a 4" teraflex long arm kit on my dads jkur and was wondering how much clearance I'd have with set of xrc's and 37's?

Quick Reply: Smittybilt XRC Armor and "the fuzz"