Notices
Outdoor Sports General discussion forum for those of you interested in outdoor sports such as mountain biking, kayaking, snowboarding, skiing, water skiing, ATV's etc.

Any mountain bikers?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love I9 wheels. I've worked on quite a few of them, including a few builds. A very quality product.

My Coilair is about 33 pounds and it's the lightest big bike I've ever had. My everyday XC ride several years ago was a 44 pound Foes Fly. That bike pedaled so well that the weight just didn't seem to matter. Too bad it broke. I replaced that with a Foes FXR and broke that too. No more Foes for me. Since then has been an Azonic Saber, Devinci Johnson, Titus Supermoto, and now the Coilair. I won't waste anyones time with the pre-foes days. Too many bikes to mention!

I actually chanced into bikes after blowing my knee out skiing. It was part of the rehab for the surgery, so I just rode and rode and rode. I'm a complete addict.

By the way... a funny bit of news about Hayes, which is actually HB performance systems. They don't own the name "Hayes." All of the Stroker brakes are being shipped without the Hayes name on them because their partner in Taiwan owns the name and has filed a cease and desist order over violation of intellectual property. Depending on the outcome of the trial, Stroker may be the new name of the brakes for good. Funny world.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:06 AM
JK Junkie

Funny, I broke my 2002.5 Foes Fly too. It was my do all bike for a long time. Foes was terrible at replacing it. Terrible customer service!! I had to pay almost the entire amount to get it replaced. Where did yours break?
Old 12-19-2007, 06:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kntr
Where did yours break?
It broke on the monocoque arch that went around the shock. It cracked on the inside of the monocoque and was working its way toward the middle of the arch. There were several Flys in the town where I lived and they all broke. Yeah, I won't touch a Foes again. Not only did both of their bikes that I owned break in under 6 months, but they tried very hard to not warranty them. All of the FXRs in town broke too. At 155 pounds and 5'11", I shouldn't be breaking bikes like that. Especially not an 8" bike that's meant for hucking. Where did yours break?
Old 12-19-2007, 02:00 PM
JK Junkie

Mine broke where the seatstay meets the bottom bracket. My warranty card said, replacement warranty was 50% of MSRP. $2200 was MSRP. They wanted to charge me $1800!!! They tried to say the warranty changed. I told them I didnt care if it changed.... I bought it with the 50% MSRP replacement warranty and thats what I wanted. They said no. I ended up talking with Brent Foes and he got the price down to $1550. It was still not what my warranty card said but oh well. I will never buy another Foes either. They lost a customer. I rode the warrantied frame for 2 seasons and sold it.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
i broke my GF right where the seat meets the upper tube.

was replaced for free with no questions asked by my dealer.
That's one of the things I've liked about dealing with Fisher/Trek in the past. They warranty ANYTHING. I had a customer give me his old beat to $#it level betty that was cracked. It was 8 years old and fisher still gave me a warranty replacement.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Foes tried to tell me that my FXR breaking was my fault because I'd used too soft of a spring. When I told them that I used a spring that was 50# heavier than suggested, they just looked for another excuse. Come to find out, after they tried to tell me that it was my fault, they had a bad tubing spec on the downtubes. They tried to make me pay for their screw up. The shop I was at dropped Foes after that one. Too bad the company sucks, because the bikes rode really well.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

I have not ridden for 6 months due to an injury at work, but I ride both mountain and road religiously. I recently sold a Santa Cruz Blur with high end parts cause I hated to see it sit here not being ridden. Plus it give me an excuse to build up a new one next year. I have a Cannondale F3000SL hard tail to ride until I build up a new one. My road bike is a Serotta Legend Ti. SoCal has some great riding, I'm very lucky. Just can't wait to get over this injury and get back to normal.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ctimrun
My road bike is a Serotta Legend Ti.

Serotta builds such a nice bike. I don't spend enough time on my road bike to justify the expense, but I'd love a nice ti ride.

2K2, that's a nice bike hauler! Have you thought about a hitch rack for it? My mileage went up a ton when I switched to my rear rack. Of course, I pretty much always have my Jeep and a bike with me at all times. I'm obsessed with both, just ask my wife.

kntr, where in Montana are you? I've been up there a few times to visit a friend, do a little back packing, and a little riding. I love that area.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:17 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by utahgoose

Serotta builds such a nice bike. I don't spend enough time on my road bike to justify the expense, but I'd love a nice ti ride.

2K2, that's a nice bike hauler! Have you thought about a hitch rack for it? My mileage went up a ton when I switched to my rear rack. Of course, I pretty much always have my Jeep and a bike with me at all times. I'm obsessed with both, just ask my wife.

kntr, where in Montana are you? I've been up there a few times to visit a friend, do a little back packing, and a little riding. I love that area.
Im in the Kalispell/Whitefish area by Glacier Park. There are tons of trails for mountain biking and tons of paved back roads for road riding. This summer I went on a few 20-30 mile road rides and only saw a couple cars. It was nice. I hardly ever see people when mountain biking, too.

Some pics
pics at the lake in the fall.

looking back

looking up

pics of the lake mid summer

some pics of the last ride of the season

this pic was taken from my house looking up where the last pic was taken... same day. I goo up there to the top a lot.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kntr
Im in the Kalispell/Whitefish area by Glacier Park. There are tons of trails for mountain biking and tons of paved back roads for road riding. This summer I went on a few 20-30 mile road rides and only saw a couple cars. It was nice. I hardly ever see people when mountain biking, too.

Some pics
pics at the lake in the fall.

looking back

looking up

pics of the lake mid summer

some pics of the last ride of the season

this pic was taken from my house looking up where the last pic was taken... same day. I goo up there to the top a lot.
kntr where exactly do you live? It is beautiful there! How bad are the winters?

Quick Reply: Any mountain bikers?