Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

HDR? anyone else do these?

Old 07-26-2008, 01:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up HDR? anyone else do these?

first, for anyone that doesn't know, HDR = High Dynamic Range. its a trick where you take multiple pictures of the same thing but at different exposures. you set the f-stop so that the dept of field won't change, and then adjust the shutter to step up and down a few times. the quick way is to use the autobracket on most cameras and get 3 images. the more extensive way which yeilds much more interesting effects is with 5 images. so you'd have a base image, then -1, -2, +1, +2.

now i'm still perfecting my technquie in how to do these so i'm no expert at it yet, but i've gotten some very awesome looking pictues so far... nothing as impressive as some of the ones online, but still... i don't have years of practice at this yet.

anyway, here are a few that i've done so far!

just a few for now, but more to come.

anyone else have some HDR photos?
Old 07-26-2008, 02:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this the technique used with RAW photos? I have never done it, but I would like to. Seems pretty cool. Is it just overlaying multiple images of the same thing and should you wait an amount time between pics?

Last edited by Robar; 07-26-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Robar
Is this the technique used with RAW photos? I have never done it, but I would like to. Seems pretty cool. Is it just overlaying multiple images of the same thing and should you wait an amount time between pics?

yeah... but its more complicated then that... first thing you need is a program that’s meant to make these, a good one I use is Photomatrix 3. But the technique of shooting the pictures is simple. Just take anywhere’s between 3 to 7 shots of the same thing, and as quickly as possible. You want as little or no movement between shots, otherwise ghosting and blurs will show up. Now, for each shot though, you step up or down on the light meter, and you do this with the shutter speed. Don’t change the aperture, since that will change the dept of field. A good HDR has 5 pictures, they would be -2, -1, 0, +1, +2 as far as the stepping goes. Now different scenes may need different scales on the stepping, so it takes some practice to get it right. I’m still learning myself, and each time I learn a little more.

I just recently did another really nice HDR picture... this one really shows the colors and contrast!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:56 AM
JK Junkie

that's cool,wish i knew more about photo stuff.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:01 AM
JK Super Freak

thos look good. not bad for a first timer.. im going to take some pics tonight ill try and post them up when i get a change. i have been doing photography since high school and i love it. what kind of camera do you use?

i had a canon 40d and i have tons of lenses
Old 08-05-2008, 10:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Offroadme
thos look good. not bad for a first timer.. im going to take some pics tonight ill try and post them up when i get a change. i have been doing photography since high school and i love it. what kind of camera do you use?

i had a canon 40d and i have tons of lenses

panasonic DMC-FZ7... its an "SLR-like" in otherwords, it has a lot of bells and whistles that let it act like an SLR, (manual control of the f-stop, shutter, focusing, etc), but its not an SLR. I'm thinking of selling it and getting a DMZ50 instead...

I'm still working on getting lenses and such for mine. they aren't interchangable, but i can get telephoto add ones and wide angle lenses that add on, plus the filters, and such.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Thumbs up

got some more HDR's. And this time i've included the origionals with each one to show the difference. the "normal" one is set at the best blend of light that the camera can do. this is like the "auto" mode on most cameras. the HDR shows what happens when you take it a step futher and get the entire lighting range.

normal:

HDR:

normal:

HDR:

normal:

HDR:

the 2 things this does for most pictures is A)brings out the detail of the sky and B)makes colors look more realistic instead of washed or faded like they sometimes do in a digital picture with a lot of differences in color and light.

it brings out the sky more because in the 5 pictures you'd take of something, one of those would be set to a low step number meaning the bright sky will turn out in full detail and a brilliant blue, however, anything in the foreground will become a shadow and loose all detail. This effect will also lessen the intensity of any light source to a level the camera can deal with. The other end of that, and also one of the 5 pictures you'd take in making an HDR would be a higher step picture. It would have the foreground in bright detail and the sky would appear as a bright white light. Those 2 pictures, and the other 3 when put together properly, will give you an HDR.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robar, you remember the picture that some guy took of WOL two Jeeps in a Canyon in Anza Borego last year. I think that was one of these. I wonder if we could dig it up or if WOL saved it.

It is a nice picture.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

I remember that pic of WOL's rigs, that was incredible.... I used to have that as my wallpaper. I will see if it is still in my computer somewhere.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by serveapurpose
I remember that pic of WOL's rigs, that was incredible.... I used to have that as my wallpaper. I will see if it is still in my computer somewhere.

Quick Reply: HDR? anyone else do these?