Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

HDR? anyone else do these?

Old 09-29-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I attempted some of these while I was in scotland, but next time I will have to use a tripod. They were just enough different that I couldn't get a good merge, and the skies were, at best, strange.
However, I do like my camera in that I can make it automatically take the bracket eV shots, so it takes three at once(or back to back to back).
Old 09-30-2008, 05:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JackMac4
I've been wanting to get the software you need to do good HDR. You can do HDR without it, but from what I've seen you gotta get a few things to do real good HDR. If you want to see an example of amazing HDR, I recommend checking out stuckincustoms.
i love his stuff. infact he was the one who told me to get photomatix. if anyone wants to learn to do HDR's, his tutorials are the best.

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
I attempted some of these while I was in scotland, but next time I will have to use a tripod. They were just enough different that I couldn't get a good merge, and the skies were, at best, strange.
However, I do like my camera in that I can make it automatically take the bracket eV shots, so it takes three at once(or back to back to back).

yep, it doesn't take much. i can't count how many HDR's i tried to get but because i didn't have a tripod, they didn't turn out. the ones that have turned out for me, the camera was on a tripod, or a solid surface of somesort with the self timer.

Originally Posted by SONIC
Damn AM youre getting great at that those are NICE!

thanks!
Old 09-30-2008, 05:59 AM
JK Freak

I've been wanting to try my hand at a few of these images. Your pictures look great! When I get some, I will post them (if they are good of course...)
Old 10-01-2008, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think my camera has this function.

But you need special software to combine all the photos together
Definately interested in this.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ShadedOutDoors
I think my camera has this function.

But you need special software to combine all the photos together
Definately interested in this.

well... you need a tripod... a camera that can do stepping atleast +/- 1 its better if it can do +/- 2 and can autobracket, but not needed. To get the best HDR shots, you use autobracket at -2, 0, +2 and it'll get you 9 pictures of the same thing. -3,-2,-1,-1,0,+1,+1,+2,+3. then with those, you use a program like Photomatix to merge them together and tone map them to make an HDR.

so in short, yes, you need special software for it. Photomatix is probably the best thing for this, and its only $100. well worth it if you are going to be doing this a lot.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks I can see how the tripod would be pretty essenstial to this process but this definitely puts out some great photos I love how realistic the colors become.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Default some more

got some more from the off road trip last saturday... nothing special, but meh.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:39 PM
JK Newbie

This is my try

I need more practice
Old 10-05-2008, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I also am experienced with doing HDR's.

Its not so much just blending the multiple exposures as it is Tonemapping it. Thats where all the good settings come into play and you can adjust everything about the photo.

I have a few of these I have done of the Jeep.

And this is what i mean by Tonemapping. You can change the entire look of an HDR just by Tonemapping it differently.

Its a lot of fun but doesnt work with every photo thats for sure.

and the original of that last one looked similar to this.

Last edited by metatrox; 10-05-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Those are really cool!! BTW, there is a Nat Geo contest you can enter. I have entered in some of mine but prolly not going to be accepted... if these pics were done in the last 2 years (I think that is the correct time line) you can enter them... worth a shot... Here is the link http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ph.../photo-contest

Here are some of the ones I did this weekend... I wanted to remember what I needed to do but there were so many people there and they really didn't want to cooperate by waiting. Imagine if I was bracketing how impatient they would be

Quick Reply: HDR? anyone else do these?