Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

Nikon vs Canon

Old 04-21-2009, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a Nikon man myself. I shoot a D200 and just love it! If you are just starting out I would say witch ever body you choose is going to be a pretty darn good camera. Just don't skimp when it comes to buying lenses. You won't regret coughing up a little more dough for pro glass. Just my $.02
Old 04-21-2009, 07:13 PM
JK Super Freak

CANON i work around a lot of professional photographers and they ALL use canon including myself most reliable and easy to use.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

canon
Old 05-13-2009, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think it matters much All based on personal preference, or which ever one you get a better deal on And once you go one brand you'll never switch because of the lenses you bought.

I have a Canon T1i and an XT and love them. The T1i I just got so can't really give an in-depth opinion but sofar I'm impressed.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've had the XSi for about 6 months and I love it. It's my first "nice" camera. It is very easy to use and I would buy it again if I had to. My mother-in-law is a bird nature photograpy buff and she made the switch from Nikon to Canon when she went to a digital SLR. I know it's just jumping on the bandwagon, but when you look at the sidelines at sporting events it's mostly Canons.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Canon, My first Digital SLR. XSi ...sweetness. Pick up the 1.4 50mm lense..wow what a diff.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sum_Devl
If you are looking for some descent glass for a camera, I would recommend checking into Sigma Lenses. I bought my wife 3 of there lenses and she has had no problems from them at all. They make lenses for both Canon and Nikon, you might want to check them out.

I have to agree on the Sigma brand. I shoot mostly with Canon L lenses now , but the quality with my Sigma macro was so good I couldn't justify replacing it. The other lower priced bands just don't seem worth the money to me, but I have been looking for a much longer zoom. Sigma will be the only one I can afford at this time.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DavidJP
I'm in the market for a new SLR Digital Camera and I'm not sure what brand?

My 35mm is a Nikon, but I'm a directbuy customer and I can get a better price on a Canon. They don't carry Nikon

And I was checking out the new Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi

David
I can't knock Nikon cameras and lenses versus Canon since I have seen truly great photography coming out of both products, but I have been happy with the Canon line, especially with their L series lenses. I started with a Rebel, moved to a 30D and finally a 5D full frame. So I'll just speak to the Digital Rebel. The new ones are as good as the 30D I bought three years ago for $1800. A friend got one a few weeks ago, and he's also an experienced photographer, so the shots he is getting are as good as the ones I get with my 5D (althought he Rebel is not full frame, of course). I like my 5D because it's full frame but not enough to justify the cost. A Rebel with a couple L lenses would probably make you very happy quality wise. You just have to be careful with a Rebel since the build of the body is not nearly so forgiving should it get banged around somehow as it is on the higher line cameras. On the other hand, it's also easier to replace should that be necessary. Nikon has a great line, too, though, but if you do get a Canon I don't think you would be disappointed with the Rebel.

Regarding lenses, the 24-105 L IS USM is the best all purpose lens I've found, but it's pretty expensive at $1300. The 17-40 L is only about $700 and is great for landscapes. Most of the shots on www.desert-photography.com were done with the 17-40.

Last edited by ElPaso2008; 07-27-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up a Nikon D5000. It seems like it takes really good pictures, I just need to figure out how to use it better.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:46 PM
JK Freak

Default Canon XTi

I have a Canon XTi, Loving it!

Quick Reply: Nikon vs Canon