Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

RAW vs JPG and a few other Q's

Old 08-10-2011, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAW vs JPG and a few other Q's

I want to shoot RAW on my T2i, but I only have 2 programs for processing - and I want the highest res for prints.

If I put 3 RAW bracketed pics (~25MB ea) into Photomatix, output is JPG (~10MB) or TIFF (~100MB @16 bit). If I input that TIFF into PSE 9, the output can only be TIFF or PS type formats -which seem unusable to me. The final destination for my pics can be email, Facebook, or Smugmug (.

If I process the RAW in PSE 9, same thing, output is TIFF or PS type format.

Can TIFF or PS formats be used by most applications?

Can lightroom use TIFF and give me a format I can use easier? I have wanted it to get rid of some graininess in many of my low light pics anyway.

What final format do you use?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can do a save as JPG for prints. You need to change the mode to 8 bits first and flatten it, if you added layers.

Yes, lightroom can use TIFF. Check lightroom, it maybe able to read you raw files.

PDS can be read by adobe for the most part.

My work flow; RAW, lightroom, then depending; for HDR Photomatix and then back to lightroom. Other, I might go to CS4. Mostly all I have to do is stay in lightroom. When I need a print, I create a high res JPG. If I am going to the web, a low res JPG. Lightroom helps you do all these things pretty easy. There are lots of books n the market, I like Scott Kelby books for lightroom. Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DJSJK50
You can do a save as JPG for prints. You need to change the mode to 8 bits first and flatten it, if you added layers.

Yes, lightroom can use TIFF. Check lightroom, it maybe able to read you raw files.

PDS can be read by adobe for the most part.

My work flow; RAW, lightroom, then depending; for HDR Photomatix and then back to lightroom. Other, I might go to CS4. Mostly all I have to do is stay in lightroom. When I need a print, I create a high res JPG. If I am going to the web, a low res JPG. Lightroom helps you do all these things pretty easy. There are lots of books n the market, I like Scott Kelby books for lightroom. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the advise. Another 299 for Lightroom -ouch. Maybe not this month at putting new axles is going to run $10K
Old 08-12-2011, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

I'm a big fan of Bibble Pro http://bibblelabs.comfor exactly the same problem.

I input raw always, since memory is cheap it's easy to shoot full res in RAW. In Bibble I can create different conversion routines as "batch processes". I highlight one or more photo and send it to the specified batch and I'm done. It comes default with some very useful ones, and takes a minute to setup a new one. I have 16bit tiffs, web jpeg, print jpeg (don't use these, they still have artifacts but they're good for one hour photo type places) and it still lets me modify photos in layers and selectable areas.

I've been a bibble fan for a while, because it runs equally well on Linux & Windows. I highly recommend it. Some of the more basic tools I find I use more often now, like the batch renaming or import features. Lots of plugins from the userbase too, like lens corrections and decorative stuff too.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:32 AM
JK Junkie

I always shoot in RAW and lightroom is easily becoming the go to for any pro or am out there, it really makes CS5 obsolete unless you are getting crazy with editing. Find a teacher friend or other educator (they get a huge discount) and have them order it through adobe you'll pay 99 bucks for it.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fadeout
I always shoot in RAW and lightroom is easily becoming the go to for any pro or am out there, it really makes CS5 obsolete unless you are getting crazy with editing. Find a teacher friend or other educator (they get a huge discount) and have them order it through adobe you'll pay 99 bucks for it.
Thanks, Red, but $99 for Lightroom seems the way for me. I think it works as a plug-in on Photomatix
Old 08-12-2011, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah lightroom rocks. I have both PS and lightroom. I rarely go into PS anymore unless I'm doing some crazy pixel pushing. And that's not my style. Make sure you download the latest version of adobe camera raw as well
Old 08-12-2011, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Palermus
Thanks, Red, but $99 for Lightroom seems the way for me. I think it works as a plug-in on Photomatix
It is the other way around... photomatix is a plugin for lightroom.

And that is how I got both CS4 and lightroom, educational discount. My son is in collage, so he got me the software.

Quick Reply: RAW vs JPG and a few other Q's