Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

what camera to buy

Old 06-19-2012, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BAJeep
Ok, I'm a Canon guy, but I will say there are many brands that are good. First you need to decide what are you going to use it for. Do you need a high zoom factor? Are you planning on enlarging photos (more than 8x10), if so, then pixel rate is important. Are you going to shoot video, do you want 1080 or 720. Do you need low light? After you decide on what you need then look at what is available.

I use one site to purchase all my photo equipment.... Not sure if it's ok to say but will anyway... BHPhotovideo.... They are the best.

Hope that helps
I have recently discovered BH and their prices usually cant be beat and what you see is what you get. If they say something is in excellent condition it shows up in excellent condition. And the shipping is fast as hell!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rustedxj
I bought my used T3i for around 300 bucks with the kit lens(18-55mm) from b&h. It was packaged like new and works flawless. If you dont mind carrying around a bigger camera a DSLR is the way to go IMO.

Otherwise any nikon/canon/olympus p&s is generally pretty good.
Not very familiar with Canon DSLR but either way you can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon for DSLRs
Old 09-06-2012, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

For what it is worth my wife and I shoot Pentax gear, my camera (Pentax K-5) is water/weather resistant and you can get water/weather resistant lenses as well, I have started to use it in our JK, it can take anything you dish out to it.
Pentax also makes a new Weather resistant Camera, the K-30, it is cheaper thana the K-5 but it comes in different colors and is actually a fantastic little DSLR, However my K-5 is built like a tank (magnesium alloy body/frame) and very reliable. Another nice thing about Pentax brand is you can use ANY lenses that they ever made, including the old screw mount lenses, you can buy really nice legendary Pentax lenses on the cheap.
Ricoh just bought Pentax company and really are pushing the brand and want to become a serious contender in the DSLR world, there is also a lot of speculation of a full frame DSLR coming out this next year that will compete against the Nikons and Canons.

Quick Reply: what camera to buy