Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

Who makes the best waterproof camera

Old 09-09-2010, 11:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoFishnJK
Can you post a couple of pic you took with it?
I'm at work so I don't have pics here and I can't access photobucket or flickr. If you can wait I can post some tonight

If you look at this post, the picture of my Jeep was taken with it, that's all I can give you for now

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...91#post1773791
Old 09-09-2010, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Buddy of mine bought the Pentax Optio W90, and said that it takes good pictures.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmack84
http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...ctID.169976100

Only 5mp but the HD works perfectly..
I have this camera and the HD is pretty good, but you have to have a VERY steady hand to get good video with it, and playback of the video is really tough on my Laptop using Windows 7..... it is cheap though.. but I would get the GOPRO HD.... read many reviews about it and haven't really seen a negative comment yet.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 09-13-2010, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wartoy
Those are pretty sweet, never seen that before. any DSLR's like that?
There are no DSLR's that are "water proof" like the Stylus...unless you want to spend some big money on an underwater housing for a DSLR.

However, most of the higher or pro-grade DSLR bodies are weather resistant...as long as they're paired with the high or pro-grade lenses. For example, I know that the Olympus E-3 has a very good weather resistant body and have even seen videos and heard many stories about people washing them off with a hose to get any salt off after having taking photos at the beach all day...even seen a video of someone who left one outside on a tripod overnight and got covered and frozen in snow...they guy came out in the morning, knocked the snow and some ice off, turned it on and started shooting with no problems (see link below). So, these are definitely not water-proof and can't be submerged or submerged for more than a second or two if dropped by accident, but they do work great. They're not cheap, but you can pick up a used E-3 for around $750-900 + a weather sealed lens for around $250-$300 used...that's waaaaaaaaay cheaper than you'll find a comparable Nikon or Canon weather sealed body and lens package. Now, I'm definitely not knocking Nikons or Canons at all, because I know they're great systems...it's just that I feel you can get quite a bit more bang for your buck with Olympus. However, Nikons and Canons absolutely kill Olympus when it comes to shooting low light and high ISO...oh well, you can't have everything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A15MgHHS_M8

Just another option if you don't need to be shooting underwater.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a Samsung WP10 and its great. I just posted a pic in Wife/Girlfriend tread. I think its 10mp and 5x zoom and around 150 on ebay with case and extras.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

go pro camera
Old 09-13-2010, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Panasonic T2, is waterproof to 33 feet without a case, and shoots HD video
Old 09-24-2010, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good thread

Nice thread, I can see Jeepers wanting a sturdy camera.
I have tested cameras as a photography journalist, but we don't submerge them or drop them as we have to give them back in one piece...

Look at this article, it seems pretty up-to-date and lists most waterproof compacts:
http://reviews.photographyreview.com...tal-cameras/2/

Olympus was the first, as far as I know, with a waterproof, shockproof and freezeproof compact camera. I still have that first model Mju - or Stylus in the US. Photo and video quality are not great, by my standards, but the thing is indestructible. I have taken it scuba diving in salt water, forgot to rise it off, and it still works and there is no rust or anything. Being shockproof is also a plus. Since the lens design of such cameras is of the 'periscope' type, the lens does not extend mechanically and therefore can not be damaged.

I completely agree with Nick08JKUX's comment. There are no waterproof DSLRs, and an expensive underwater housing is not really usable on land. The Olympus E-3 is indeed remarkably sealed. Another advantage of all Oly's is that they have an extremely good dust reduction system. When changing lenses in the field, dust will enter your camera and show up as specks. A good dust reduction system shakes the particles off when you turn the camera on. Virtually all brands have a dust reduction system, but Olympus' works best.
Canon and Nikon (semi-)pro DSLRs are also sealed well, but much more expensive and probably in a different quality category.

Something to consider if you are after a DSLR: if you don't submerge it or bang it on rocks or so, you can take a normal DSLR on trails. Try to keep lens changes to a minimum or avoid them altogether. And invest in a good bag or case. For rugged use, nothing beats a Peli case.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:00 PM
JK Newbie

Default Kodak Play sport

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kodak-Play...00000000025851

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrSouthe...n?feature=mhum
Old 12-03-2010, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

go pro hd !!

Quick Reply: Who makes the best waterproof camera