Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

hood switch

Old 03-18-2010, 05:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hood switch

Does anybody know what the switch under the hood is for? I would have assumed it was for security, or even to show a dummy light when the hood is open, but it seems to have no effect?? . . . .
Old 03-18-2010, 05:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by acidsnow
Does anybody know what the switch under the hood is for? I would have assumed it was for security, or even to show a dummy light when the hood is open, but it seems to have no effect?? . . . .
I was thinking the same thing the other day. My guess is if the hood is left open the dash will display a message similar to having a door/trunk open.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:25 AM
JK Newbie

I put the car in drive with the hood propped open, nothing on the dash showed up . . . .
Old 03-18-2010, 06:12 AM
JK Freak

Hmm, I will have to look when I get home. I don't recall seeing a switch under the hood.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:31 AM
kik
JK Freak

I have a 10 Rubi and there is no switch under the hood. Give me an idea about location and I'll check again. Are you running an aftermarket alarm system?
Old 03-18-2010, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Pre-Wired, Related to the Remote Start option? I read somewhere that the remote start includes a pin switch under the hood that will shut the engine down if the hood is opened after the JK is started with the remote.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is the remote start/alarm switch. I'm not sure why they put them on so many Jeeps that don't actually have either option.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

its on the driver side at the front.

I have factory start, 2010 sahara unlimited
Old 03-18-2010, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

I had the factory remote start added to my '08. The hood switch is located at the front drivers side corner. If the hood is opened it will prevent the remote start. I believe if the hood is opened while it is running (remote started) it will kill the engine also, but not 100% sure about that one. Or it might trigger the alarm also.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my understanding isn't that it will kill the jeep if hood is opened, it's that you can't start the jeep with the remote when the hood is open.

For safety, for instance you have the hood open and your hands deep down inside the Jeep, your wife or kids etc. get your remote and decide to start the vehicle not knowing your working on it. That would be bad.

Quick Reply: hood switch