Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Metalcloak shock offering coming soon

Old 04-17-2022, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Cool New Metalcloak shock offering coming soon

So I was just watching a Casey250 vid where he visited Metalcloaks manufacturing facility to help promote their new give away and they kinda debuted a new shock they are coming out with. It is an adjustable reservoir shock, not quite as much travel as the 6-packs but I guess they will be a mid-tier between them and the Rocksports. Skip to about 8:00.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 113 Likes on 103 Posts

Interesting. I’ve always liked metalcloak because they do things that other companies have not. Such as the high clearance fenders that can be removed, or interchanged with other wider or narrow fenders. Also their duraflex joints are unique, and modular bumpers that can have a bent corner replaced or exchanged for a wider or narrow part.

But these shocks don’t seem special, they don’t seem to have anything “new”. They appear to just be another spin on the falcon shocks. I’m not impressed.
Old 04-17-2022, 03:26 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Shocks are big business, people spend way too much on shocks and hype up new ones like the falcons. King and Fcx cant make them fast enough. Its just an opportunity to sell more to thsoe that don't want red shocks.
Old 04-17-2022, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 113 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Shocks are big business, people spend way too much on shocks and hype up new ones like the falcons. King and Fcx cant make them fast enough. Its just an opportunity to sell more to thsoe that don't want red shocks.
Give someone a shiny shock and watch them get all giddy.

Add a reservoir and they start to get light headed.

Tell them it’s adjustable and watch them lose their minds.

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
King and Fcx cant make them fast enough.
And that’s a part of the problem. I’ve looked at getting longer king shocks for my Jeep and the lead time is way out there.
Old 04-17-2022, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not doing high speed baja or a lot of washboard stuff either so I'm just going to stick with the Rocksports. They ride pretty comfortably and I get good travel out of them for now. Unless I go with 6-packs when it's time to get new shocks, I'll get another set of Rocksports. They are a pretty good value for what you pay compared to other offerings.
Old 04-24-2022, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm. Looks like an exact copy.
Vertex 2.5 Adj Front Shocks | 2-3" | Jeep Wrangler JL 4WD (18-22) | Rough Country
Old 04-24-2022, 07:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Not even close. Top cap on both tes shock and res are different, the res is machiened on the metal cloak, the adjusters are different, hoses are different, the res clamps are different. If I had to guess the Metal Cloak are made by sway a way or fox and the rough county are Radflo but again they could be Fox as they use that braided stainless steel hose on their shocks.
The Metal Cloaks could be all new as it really is not hard to build a shock if you have access to machining. All the magic is inside on how they stack those valve shims and control the fluid.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 04-24-2022 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-11-2024, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Quick update........

The following users liked this post:
twp (03-01-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Definitely disappointed with the price of these, it's a little ridiculous. Especially since they were supposed to be a middle of the road shock between their current offerings. For the price, 6-paks are much more reasonable utilizing a somewhat more unique body to gain more travel. I'd even rather save a little more to get coil overs before these new ones.
Old 04-29-2024, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14KaratJK
Definitely disappointed with the price of these, it's a little ridiculous. Especially since they were supposed to be a middle of the road shock between their current offerings. For the price, 6-paks are much more reasonable utilizing a somewhat more unique body to gain more travel. I'd even rather save a little more to get coil overs before these new ones.
Ya, the price is astonishing. I bought rocksports as a stopgap to these. The red rock sports will be staying.

Quick Reply: New Metalcloak shock offering coming soon