Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Adding Front/Rear Lockers

Old 01-03-2014, 04:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Front/Rear Lockers

I am adding Front/Rear Lockers to my 2011 Unlimited Sport. My question is: Does the Sport Model have the Front/Rear Locker engage icons on the instrument cluster? If so, is there a way to utilize them, ie: Locker dash icon on when locker is engaged. I hope what I'm asking makes sense and thank you in advance.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I've not seen where someone has done that. But, there is an active thread in the electrical forum where a fellow has hacked the CAN bus to make certain things work. So, even if no one has done it before, wouldn't be surprised if someone does in the future. Meanwhile, you might check out OTRATTW.com. They sell switches engraved/silkscreened with a variety of functions, including lockers.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:39 AM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like to much to mess with just to get the lights lit up. Just have days that switched above and it will be easier
Old 01-03-2014, 06:08 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Benm1020
Sounds like to much to mess with just to get the lights lit up. Just have days that switched above and it will be easier
Was on phone before--now can show you the OTRATTW stuff ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Work, Sep 13, 5_9826, Engine Fan Switch.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	520896

There are threads on various ways to light these up, including wiring them into the dash dimmer control. There are two styles of switches, Contura II (above) and V (which are sleeker looking and better fit the new interior). Contura II are silkscreened, therefore when lit don't have the indicia glowing. The V are laser-engraved and glow quite nicely. Folks have mounted these switches in various devices, including the sPOD (above), Daystar center console panel, Rugged Ridge pillar pod, etc. If you're looking for a professional looking install, this is a very nice solution.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Was on phone before--now can show you the OTRATTW stuff ...

Attachment 520896

There are threads on various ways to light these up, including wiring them into the dash dimmer control. There are two styles of switches, Contura II (above) and V (which are sleeker looking and better fit the new interior). Contura II are silkscreened, therefore when lit don't have the indicia glowing. The V are laser-engraved and glow quite nicely. Folks have mounted these switches in various devices, including the sPOD (above), Daystar center console panel, Rugged Ridge pillar pod, etc. If you're looking for a professional looking install, this is a very nice solution.
Those switches are far more attractive than the plain ones that came with my spod, I know you can just buy the rocker covers but will the sleeker looking V rockers fit on the contura II switches?
Old 01-03-2014, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

bad juju ................................
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2183.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	521091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubi axle 016.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	521092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubi axle 019.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	521093  

Last edited by BADDANDY; 01-03-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had done this on my old TJ, but this is how I did it on my JK. The green light dash/red light JK switch comes on when the internal positive locked contacts in the locker close.

Attachment 521091
Attachment 521092
Attachment 521093
Old 01-03-2014, 08:10 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ardvaark
I am adding Front/Rear Lockers to my 2011 Unlimited Sport. My question is: Does the Sport Model have the Front/Rear Locker engage icons on the instrument cluster? If so, is there a way to utilize them, ie: Locker dash icon on when locker is engaged. I hope what I'm asking makes sense and thank you in advance.
They all use the same cluster, so yes- they are in there. It would be much more of a headache to attempt to backfeed the system and convince the computer that you're doing everything correctly than to just install switches and look at those.

These are much more complex than the tj days. If you insist on lights in your dash then consider drilling out some small holes above the cluster but under the "hood" of the cluster and install a light for each locker. Folks do things like that with hidden radar detectors so you have the visual cue in your cluster area.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Adding Front/Rear Lockers