Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Alignment/loose steering wrenching help (sunday Aug 29th)

Old 08-27-2010, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment/loose steering wrenching help (sunday Aug 29th)

Ever since running the Rubicon, I've noticed a gradual decay in my front end. Steering seems a bit loose, when I hit the brakes I hear a slight clunk (but only in 2 wheel drive). I have little experience working on front ends, and I would like to pull it apart and re torque everything and see if its just loose bolts or something more sinister. Would anyone be up for coming over and helping diagnose this problem? I'll supply food and drinks I was hoping to do this Sunday, as it appears the weather will cooperate and not be dreadfully hot. I live in Rancho Cucamonga

Old 08-27-2010, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WestleyAndButtercup
Ever since running the Rubicon, I've noticed a gradual decay in my front end. Steering seems a bit loose, when I hit the brakes I hear a slight clunk (but only in 2 wheel drive). I have little experience working on front ends, and I would like to pull it apart and re torque everything and see if its just loose bolts or something more sinister. Would anyone be up for coming over and helping diagnose this problem? I'll supply food and drinks I was hoping to do this Sunday, as it appears the weather will cooperate and not be dreadfully hot. I live in Rancho Cucamonga

We really need to have a wrenching party..
Old 08-28-2010, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toad
The clunk you're hearing could be loose control arms. Get under there and see if they move. If so, they need to be tightened. The steering issue..not real sure. I know mine was a little sloppy due to the splines in the pitman arm getting worn. We added a big-ass washer to push it up further and that has helped quite a bit. IDK what else could be making your steering so sloppy. But, the clunk...check the control arms.
The control arms will be the first thing I look at
Old 08-28-2010, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
We really need to have a wrenching party..
Wanna have it this Sunday? LOL
Old 08-28-2010, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Fixed...

Originally Posted by toad
The clunk you're hearing could be loose control arms. Get under there and see if they move. If so, they need to be tightened. The steering issue..not real sure. I know mine was a little sloppy due to the splines in the pitman arm getting worn. We added a big-ass washer to push it up further and that has helped quite a bit. IDK what else could be making your steering so sloppy. But, the clunk...check the control arms.
So once again Toad and Bullfrog come through for me. I decided to go just take a look and it turns out the lower control arm bolt holes were ovaled and the bolts had been sliding and were loose. I tightened them up (very tightly) and the steering is fixed, and the clunk is gone. I now however have the small problem of ovaled bolt holes, but as I used to work as a welder in college, I think I can fix this with relative ease, just need to borrow my friends welder.

Thanks Toad! (and Bullfrog!)

Quick Reply: Alignment/loose steering wrenching help (sunday Aug 29th)