Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

California State Law: Offroad Lights

Old 08-03-2007, 09:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California State Law: Offroad Lights

I was ticketed by a highway patrol officer yesterday morning for not having my offroad lights covered. I have 2 KC fog lights on my bumper and 2 KC long range lights by my mirrors. They have the rock gaurds on them. He stated that they needed to be covered. Anyone know what the current California State Law is regarding this? Is he correct? Do they need to be covered? Vehicle codes or numbers would be appreciated. Thanks for any info you guys might have.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is the first link
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24403.htm

This one is the nail in the coffin
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24411.htm

This ones for just in case you wanted to
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24404.htm

And heres the page where you can find ever california vehicle code on the current books. Even the one that states no vehicle may have the front passenger side windows tinted and the one that requires you to have at least a rear view mirror and a drivers side mirror.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc.htm

Oh yeah sorry your screwed
Old 08-03-2007, 09:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Well shit. Sounds too hard to fight and find the loophole, which I'm sure there is, such as they aren't "off road aux lights" they're driving lights. But, anyone know how much that ticket is going to run? Its written as 1 violation but it states there are 4 lights.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

No idea but if I were to guess it would be about 50.00. My last speeding ticket by Disneyland on the 5 was 90 in a 65 and it was only 150.00 and thats speeding. So I cant see it being to much.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Thank you for the quick feedback. Hopefully it won't be too much. Silly police officers they think I'm going to buy covers for my lights....if anything I'll be buying more lights! haha
Old 08-03-2007, 10:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

God, just one more reason to HATE Commie-fornia......

I wish all the good and decent individuals would leave that state, and that whole chunk of craptastic land would fall into the Pacific.... along with all the politicians running it...
Old 08-03-2007, 10:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, but it is nice to surf in the morning when it's 70 and sunny then load up in the afternoon and go snow board at night. Not to many places in the world that you can do that.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dougolupski
No idea but if I were to guess it would be about 50.00. My last speeding ticket by Disneyland on the 5 was 90 in a 65 and it was only 150.00 and thats speeding. So I cant see it being to much.
You live where????
Old 08-04-2007, 05:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FunN4Lo
Well shit. Sounds too hard to fight and find the loophole, which I'm sure there is, such as they aren't "off road aux lights" they're driving lights. But, anyone know how much that ticket is going to run? Its written as 1 violation but it states there are 4 lights.
driving lights are mounted down below the bumper so that it will light up the road. On the windshield they are off road lights.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
You live where????
I live in Santa Barbara now but I lived in Dana Point for about 18 years and my family syill lives in Tustin. My work has me down in LA and San diego alot thats when I got the ticket. My shop car is a Honda damn thing goes so fast without knowing it ended up getting nabbed for speeding back in April while coming back from San Diego.

Quick Reply: California State Law: Offroad Lights