Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

California State Law: Offroad Lights

Old 08-04-2007, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CA is out of control.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:22 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure that uncovered offroad lights is much of a reason to give Ca. such a hard time. I think there are much better examples out there. I for one think every RESPONSIBLE citizen should be allowed to carry a concealed weapon. Not just the bad guys...
Old 08-04-2007, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

I got nabbed in Fullerton for the SAME thing, I actually had to appear in court for it. I had a cop buddy of mine sign it off stating they were now covered (even though this ticket is not correctable) the judge only charged me a $10 processing fee. Mine were on the windshied too, the concern is people impersonating police vehicles at night as they look similar to the spot lights on patrol cars. You'll get that ticket over and over until you cover those lights on the windshield.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:35 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WestGaParrotHead
God, just one more reason to HATE Commie-fornia......

I wish all the good and decent individuals would leave that state, and that whole chunk of craptastic land would fall into the Pacific.... along with all the politicians running it...

Oh, please! If having to cover off-road lights on the highway is a reason to hate Cali, here's 10 reasons to love it.... sorry, I only had time to grab a few.... :toung:

All I can say is that if this state falls off the continent, it's taking me with it....
Old 08-04-2007, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

its just a simple fix it ticket... Put some covers on them, get a cop to sign the back of the ticket and its 10$ case closed...

Its not going to cost anything really, its the same type of ticket as say having no from license plate or no proof of ins... just take it in and your good to go for 10 bucks...
Old 08-04-2007, 09:40 AM
gcg
JK Newbie

Beautiful pictures! Beautiful state. I lived there most of my life. Love the intellectual makeup of the population. Love the gun laws. Made me feel much safer than having every Billy Bob hiding a gun in his waist band.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got one of these from the CHP a few years back. It was just a 'fix it'
ticket (as someone stated earlier). Check the ticket again to verify.

Andy
Old 08-04-2007, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll start by saying that you can flame me if you wish. I won't argue back.

What an utter waste of time and money to pull over someone for non-illuminated lights on a vehicle that are not covered. That is just the type of trivial foolish and over the top bureaucratic stupidity that makes people despise LEOs. What is the concern if they think you are a law enforcement vehicle, a speeder might slow down? I'm sure there is a perfectly good "impersonating an officer" law that could be used if some one got carried away with pimping their ride out like a cop car and using it for nefarious reasons.

Hell, I even feel bad for the cop for having to enforce such garbage laws. It takes away from his credibility if you ask me. I'm surprised that they can even get a cop to enforce it. That whole law is a losing situation for everyone involved.

In my twisted mind it would be fun to spend hours air brushing covers that look exactly like the light underneath. Or to manufacture horns the size and shape of pillar spotlights, with no light function or lens.

It is a damn good thing that I am not King.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:37 PM
JK Freak

well don't hear of people getting pulled over up here for that but I'm sure there are some.

basicly on things like this it gives the officer a reason to pull you over to see if there is anything else they can get you for like not having a licence or a warrent, etc... the cops I know that pull people over for these "trivial" things usualy do it just to run your name and check you out, and just give you a warning on the "lights" or usualy it's a missing front licence plate. basicly now that you know the "law" either fix the prob or just be carefull because your giving them a "reason" to pull you over in hopes that your "ridin dirty"....
Old 08-04-2007, 10:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although state laws differ, I believe the laws for aux. offroad lighting, (and pretty much any light mounted above the headlamps are considered aux lights)is aout the sae throughout the US.
If you ever came face to face with a vehicle that had lights mounted at eye level such as that on the windshield or roof rack at night, you would see why they should be covered at all times on the road.
I was blinded for at least 10 seconds.

Quick Reply: California State Law: Offroad Lights