Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Clockspring issues help

Old 12-04-2013, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clockspring issues help

Ive been reading that some people have had good luck getting their jks Clockspring replaced free of charge . The problem is that i never got the letter on the extended warranty issue. My 07 jk horn has been out for over a year and my airbag is going off intermittently for about a month now (driving me craZy)
I need some advise which dealer would be the best option to go to or? Thanks
Old 12-05-2013, 03:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Tried the warranty deal up here in Lancaster and it was a no go. An expensive repair for what they really do and the unit itself is expensive for what it is. My advice is to get a clockspring, google repair and replacement of a jeep clockspring and do it yourself. Sure know I will if another one goes.

If memory serves the clockspring was two bills plus and is a dealer only item.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

There is a petition somewhere on here that ya may want to sign that will make this a warrantied item/recall for Chrysler. Won't help with this clockspring repair but may be of use in the future.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check with Chrysler cust care or your dealer so they can run your vin and check if your Jeep is covered. Mine wasn't and cost me > $600 repair from the dealer.

Another idea is if you're not covered you may want to do it yourself. I found a write up on how it was done. Good luck

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=11381
Clockspring Replacement DIY
Old 12-06-2013, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Clockspring

GOOD luck!!! here in Temecula they did a good faith on my clock spring and still cost 350.00. I think it is over 600.00. The only reason for the good faith deal on mine is because I only had 32k miles but my 36 months was over bye about 6 months. I will say I lucked out as I put hydro-assist on and after cycling steering off the ground back in fourth to bleed pump it went out again. But they covered replacement because of there own warranty of their work from the dealer was less than a year. My opinion should of been covered on a Jeep with only 32 k miles from Chrysler.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

We got ours fixed for free last summer at Rancho Jeep on Balboa in Kearny Mesa. We have a 07 JK and it was covered under an extended warranty. Dave - can't remember his last name - helped us out.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got mine done at Jack Powell in Escondido. They ran my vin and said "sorry" your not covered. Another service advisor heard that and said Chrysler has extended the warranty on the clockspring, so your good to go

That was a PITA driving around without a horn for 2 years!
Old 12-07-2013, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/..._ids=13V176000

NHTSA Action Number: PE11019 Airbag Clockspring Failure

SUMMARY:

In its July 29, 2011 response to ODI's May 27, 2011 information request letter, Chrysler provided 153 MY 2007-2008 owner reports, additional to the 28 ODI Vehicle Owner Questionnaires (VOQs), which related to the illumination of the air bag light (ABL) due to a faulty clockspring (CS) wiring circuit. The right hand drive (RHD) vehicles, which were first produced in MY 2008 and account for only 1% of vehicle production, accounted for 82 of these 181 reports (45%). The MY2007 left hand drive (LHD) vehicle accounted for 61 of the remaining 92 LHD reports and exhibited a higher complaint rate than the MY 2008 LHD vehicles. ODI did not identify any incidents of crashes/injuries attributable to the CS circuit failure. Since May 27, 2011, ODI has received another 32 consumer complaints bringing the total to 213 reports at this closing. In addition, and for comparative purposes, Chrysler provided another 42 owner reports it received on the MY2006 and MY2009-2010 Wrangler vehicles; these populations showed a lower incident rate than the subject vehicles, especially in comparison to the RHD subject vehicles. Chrysler's investigation showed that the higher rate of RHD Wrangler CS failures were due to a more severe duty cycle for these vehicles which are primarily used by US Postal workers/mail carriers delivering mail in rural regions. Chrysler concluded the unique vehicle usage, much of which occurs with the driver's window open and under dusty environmental conditions, is the cause of premature CS failure. Chrysler's analysis also indicated that the somewhat elevated MY2007 LHD rate, which showed a declining failure trend, was the result of start-up production/assembly issues that occurred with the introduction of a new design CS. The new design CS incorporated both dual airbag inflator circuitry and a steering wheel angle sensor (for the electronic stability control system). On November 1, 2011, Chrysler submitted a defect notice indicating it will conduct a recall of all MY 2008-2012 RHD Wrangler vehicles (11V528). The estimated 5,334 RHD Wrangler vehicles include the 2,297 MY 2008 RHD Wrangler vehicles, which were the subject of this investigation, plus an additional 3,037 MY 2009-2012 RHD Wrangler vehicles that Chrysler determined potentially have a similar CS concern as the MY 2008 RHD vehicles. Chrysler intends to replace the existing CS with a yet-to-be-produced improved CS assembly, or an improved steering housing assembly that is less susceptible to dusty environments. Owner notice is scheduled to begin in November, 2011. Chrysler also informed ODI that it intends to initiate a consumer satisfaction campaign for MY2007 LHD Wrangler which will extend the CS warranty coverage for 10 years or 150,000 miles. Accordingly the investigation is closed.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

$500.00 to replace mine in Moreno Valley. I was just out of warranty because of time, not milege. I argued it was a safety issue to no avail. I'm hopeing for a recall to hopefully get my money back. I'm always toward the end of the pack with my windows open or top off, or both.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Longnose 359
$500.00 to replace mine in Moreno Valley. I was just out of warranty because of time, not milege. I argued it was a safety issue to no avail. I'm hopeing for a recall to hopefully get my money back. I'm always toward the end of the pack with my windows open or top off, or both.
that's cause u like looking under our jeeps ;-) jeep-upskirt! Lol

Quick Reply: Clockspring issues help