Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

coyote/swamp lake trail

Old 09-05-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coyote/swamp lake trail

A couple of us are heading up to the shaver lake area this weekend to do some wheeling in the sierras. The plan is to head up on Thursday afternoon and head back down on Sunday. We plan on staying at http://shaverlakevillagehotel.com/rooms.html but there is plenty of camping around the area. The reason why we aren't camping is because there is a strong possibility of thunderstorms this weekend. We are going to run Coyote, mirror, and strawberry lake trails on Friday and swamp lake on Saturday.

Requirements

Minimum requirements are 33" tires, lift, and tow points front and rear. Swamp lake is a long, tough trail and should take 7 hours without any delays

here are some descriptions from Charles wells' Guide to Northern California back roads and 4-Wheel Drive trails.

Mirror Strawberry lakes
-Difficult. The trail to Mirror Lake has one sections that will likely require winching. A 150-yard hill is very steep with large boulders that move around as you climb. Tight trees add to the likelihood of vehicle damage. Most people look at the Hill and decide that nearby strawberry lake is a better alternative. Strawberry lake has large boulders too, but is much flatter.

Coyote Lake

-Difficult. A series of challenging boulder fields, very narrow in places. One Section, immediately after red lake, is borderline extreme with giant tree roots mixed with boulders. For modified vehicles only. Differential lockers recommended.

Here are a few pictures https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ht=coyote+lake

Swamp Lake
-Difficult. Large, challenging boulders and steep hair raising climbs. Muddy in places. Snow possible in early summer. Modified vehicles need very high ground clearance. Recommend at least one differential locker. For experienced drivers only. Don't go Alone. Damage possible for even the most capable vehicle. Definitely not for stock SUVs.

Here are a few pictures https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ght=swamp+lake
Going

1. Jaykay69
2. MtnBiker4158
3. BONDSY (saturday only)

Maybe

Last edited by JayKay69; 09-05-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

Chance of thunderstorms are 20% Friday and 10% Saturday. So, I'm booking a bunkhouse at Shaver Lake for JayKay-John and myself today. It sleeps 5. There are two available. $50 per night. Best I can tell, the bunkhouses are the only thing available at the lodge this weekend. The lodge is centrally located to the trails we are doing. Let me know if you're interested in joining us.

Here's the link to the bunkhouse page: http://shaverlakevillagehotel.com/bunkhouses.html

The bunkhouse is similar to camping, but with a roof over our stuff day and night. Takes the muddy tent aspect out of the picture. Has lights, electric outlets, but no heat. A firepit and portable toilets are nearby. John and I will probably leave our doors in the room for safe keeping. Also allows the option of eating in town at night and getting ice.

My plan is to wheel rain or shine! Hope you can join us.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:09 PM
JK Junkie

Wayne and John,

Vince and I would be there but it is his girlfriend's birthday on Sat. and his Jeep is in the shop. Next time!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CALIJK
Wayne and John,

Vince and I would be there but it is his girlfriend's birthday on Sat. and his Jeep is in the shop. Next time!
Wish you could make it Dave
Old 09-06-2011, 07:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man wish I could come but having accomplished my goal of doing something in the Jeep every weekend this summer since I got it in early July has left me a little behind in the pocket book and household chores. Have fun yall. It should be awsome up there if it rains.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
...accomplished my goal of doing something in the Jeep every weekend this summer since I got it in early July has left me a little behind in the pocket book and household chores...
Hey Rob... You've officially joined the crowd!

It was great meeting you at Monache Meadows last week. Hope to wheel with you soon.

Wayne
Old 09-08-2011, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Change of plans... I can't get off work Friday... So we are headed up Friday after work. There are only 3 or 4 JKs so far. We can probably take 1 or 2 more if you want to join us.

Figure John, Matt, and myself will be in Shaver Lake Friday night around 6:30 to 7:30 (unpredictable SoCal traffic and depends how long Matt shirt shops at the Flying J Truck Stop!) We'll drop our doors and stuff at the bunkhouse and head for Coyote Lake. Feel free to join us for a cold, (maybe wet) night run.

Chance of rain is now up to 30% Friday, 40% Saturday, and 30% Sunday. Lows around 40 degrees. Please be prepared.

Shaver Lake Village Hotel
42135 Tollhouse Rd (I believe this is Hwy 168)
Shaver Lake

Looks like the far end of town.

We'll be on channel 16 as usual.

We are fortunate to have Tom (Bondsy) and hopefully It's a JK trail guiding us thru the Swamp Lake trail Saturday at 8am. Thanks in advance guys.

See the CenCal thread for more details.

Wayne
951-316-0026
Old 09-13-2011, 08:46 PM
JK Freak

Cool I Have A New Favorite Trail!!!

Wow! Swamp Lake is incredible... Rocks, trees, thunder, rain, more rocks, more trees, 10-1/2 hours on the trail, and all on four hours sleep after getting off the Coyote Lake trail about 2am Friday night.

Thanks a million Tom for guiding and spotting us on the trail. I'd still be there without your expertise and a little tug up that section near the end. Planning to make it back up before the snow hits. I'm going to wheel the Shaver Lake area two or three times a year! That place is awesome!

Tom, it was so cool watching you make that steep, wet rock section on about your fifth or sixth attempt. You worked that thing without excessive skinny peddle till you got enough side bite to kick it's butt! The wet rocks really made it more difficult eh? Hell, I had a tough time clearing it with you tugging me up!

I started pulling skid plates and bumpers last night to begin the "straightening" process. It's gonna take some time and several Harbor Freight hammers!

Thank You John for putting this thing together. It absolutely made my Summer!

And Thank You Matt for your great spotting and crazy, creative humor.

Hoping we all get some pics and video posted!

Let's do it again soon!!!

Quick Reply: coyote/swamp lake trail