Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Cutting stock fenders. Advice please..

Old 08-30-2013, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting stock fenders. Advice please..

So I want to cut my stock fenders on my 2012 JKU. I have watched all kinds of video on it, and it doesn't look all that hard. My question is. Who has done it with painted fenders? Does it make a difference? I'm in San Clemente. Is anyone somewhat local willing to help for some beer, and some cash? Any input is appreciated.

Thank you.
Drew
Old 08-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not hard, clean em well mask them with blue painters tape and use that to trace your cut line...a sawzall or 4" grinder with cut blade can be used to chop....smooth the edges hit it with a orbital sander and 400+ grit lightly that will roll the edges and get a finished look---dont like the look of the trim people,e stick on em....
Old 08-30-2013, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BRUT4CE
Its not hard, clean em well mask them with blue painters tape and use that to trace your cut line...a sawzall or 4" grinder with cut blade can be used to chop....smooth the edges hit it with a orbital sander and 400+ grit lightly that will roll the edges and get a finished look---dont like the look of the trim people,e stick on em....
Thank you sir
Old 08-30-2013, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

GO SLOW. when I cut mine I tried to cut too fast because I'm impatient. cuts weren't straight and took a lot of clean up work to get close to straight (they still aren't straight so I'm going to put trim on)

I used an air powered metal body saw and it cut through it very easily (when I wasn't rushing the blade). I think it took me 3 or 4 hours, part of that was moving slow with a broke leg.

I've got compressor and air saw and I'm near by. Let me know when you want to knock it out.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:45 PM
JK Freak

I used my dremel with a plastic cutting disc. Photos in my profile.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
GO SLOW. when I cut mine I tried to cut too fast because I'm impatient. cuts weren't straight and took a lot of clean up work to get close to straight (they still aren't straight so I'm going to put trim on)

I used an air powered metal body saw and it cut through it very easily (when I wasn't rushing the blade). I think it took me 3 or 4 hours, part of that was moving slow with a broke leg.

I've got compressor and air saw and I'm near by. Let me know when you want to knock it out.

Thank you for the advice, and willingness to help.

Brut4ce is helping me out tomorrow along with sleeves, and gussets.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 951JEEP
I used my dremel with a plastic cutting disc. Photos in my profile.
Thank you
Old 08-30-2013, 10:22 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1612869514.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	493531

Definitely go slow. And measure before you cut. I took my time and it came out nice I think. I used a sawzall.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

My only input is to not take off too much. You can take a bit more after if you choose but go too narrow and you're stuck with it. I went just inside the outer edge (where it bends downward) and it was plenty. Leaves enough so water doesn't fly up on me when turning through water, such as sprinkler run-off crossing streets in the neighborhood.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done 2 sets of non painted and 1 set of painted. I have found it is easy to use a jigsaw with a fine tooth metal blade.use lots of masking tape to help with everything from shaping them to protecting the paint from the jigsaw. Take your time and you will be fine. Like the others said don't cut too much you can always cut again.

Quick Reply: Cutting stock fenders. Advice please..