Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Indian Truck Trail to Cooks Corner by way of Main Divide?

Old 02-19-2014, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indian Truck Trail to Cooks Corner by way of Main Divide?

Has anyone ran the trail from Indian Truck Trail off the 15 to Cooks Corner (El Toro/Santiago)?

Looking to do this run. Map shows Indian Truck Trail to Main Divide to Maple Springs to Santiago Canyon.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Was trying to remember why I had never been able to put this route together even though it shows it should go through (been a few years since I tried to get from one side of Santiago Peak to the other). I got out my forest service maps and verified with the current online FS maps. There is a gate between Main Divide and Maple Springs. The current online map actually shows two separate gates, a black gate at the end of Maple Springs and a red gate at Main Divide. Gates were always closed every time I tried. I would call the Trabuco Ranger station and verify that the gates are open before planning on it.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OffTopic
Was trying to remember why I had never been able to put this route together even though it shows it should go through (been a few years since I tried to get from one side of Santiago Peak to the other). I got out my forest service maps and verified with the current online FS maps. There is a gate between Main Divide and Maple Springs. The current online map actually shows two separate gates, a black gate at the end of Maple Springs and a red gate at Main Divide. Gates were always closed every time I tried. I would call the Trabuco Ranger station and verify that the gates are open before planning on it.
I ran this trail 3 weeks ago from Santiago Canyon to Maple Springs to Santiago Peak (Antennas). When I was on the peak there was a sign showing you could go right to Holy Jim (single track for hikers/mtn bikers) then another sign showing Indian Truck Trail. Was getting late in the day so we ended just back tracking but though that would be a fun run. Every gate we crossed was open. I believe the only gates closed right now are in Black Star Canyon.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

i dont have a map but this tells if the fire roads are open up there...

Cleveland National Forest - Alerts & Notices
Old 02-20-2014, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

I don't think you can, I did Santiago peak to Sierra peak (north main divide) thinking I could exit somewhere near there and every gate was locked. One road dumps you into a neighborhood in corona, one is black star, and the other was locked by the private property antenna area near Meeks place. I had to come all the way back and exit at Santiago canyon where I started.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Yeah that's just it, even though the trails are open, the gates between them are often closed. Every single time I tried from either direction the gates were closed...but that's my luck.

Here's the on-line map that shows the two gates between the trails that I mentioned are the problem. You have to download it (Northern Portion), can't view online, but it's a much better map than any other you'll find online for that area.

Region 5 - Geospatial Data
Old 02-21-2014, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have not seen Indian Truck Trail gate open for years. New construction at the base makes it harder to find the trailhead. You have to go through some new housing and take a dirt road to west.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've run the trail twice in the last year and the Indian Truck gate is closed where it meets Main Divide. The first time I started at Indian Truck Trail (i used to live in that track). I had to turn around at the top. The second time I stopped and asked the Rangers in Corona who said all the gates should be opened. Not wanting to have to turn around again I started off of Ortega and saw the gate for Indian Truck was still locked. I think that gate is permanently locked.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Time to order bolt cutters on amazon.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

Cool

Originally Posted by twofourflinching
Time to order bolt cutters on amazon.
You mean "Optioneers"

Quick Reply: Indian Truck Trail to Cooks Corner by way of Main Divide?