Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Need Advice: Best Off-Road Camping Destination in SoCal!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice: Best Off-Road Camping Destination in SoCal!

Hey All,

First off, I'm running a mostly stock Rubicon at this point (suspension/tires are stock w/ no added skids or anything like that yet). I'm trying to get out camping next Thursday-Sunday or Monday (Memorial Day Wknd). I was originally going to go to Yosemite but seeing as there's still snow on the ground the lady probably would not have such a great time.

So, I plan to stick with SoCal for this one. Ideally, I'd like to go to a site that I can off-road to where I can avoid the crowds (i.e., a site that requires a decent 4x4 to get to on an intermediate trail that's still safe enough to do alone in a stock Rubi). Does anyone have any recommendations? I know the Clevelant Nat'l Forest Trabuco District like the back of my hand, and have pretty much seen it all, so somewhere new would be nice - Angeles Nat'l Forest perhaps, or maybe Los Padres. Somewhere with a stream would be awesome, or even better, a shower (for the lady of course, I don't take showers ).

Any ideas?

- Dave
Old 05-18-2010, 10:08 PM
JK Newbie

Check out Joshua Tree. Also alot of areas in the big bear area.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can guarantee that you will NOT find a camp site in J Tree during the holiday weekend. I camp in J Tree (rock climbing ... hence my name and avatar) every 4-6 weeks and have already been out there 4 times this year. J Tree is so crowded these days that you have to literally arrive on a Thursday morning to get a decent camp site. Last time, I arrived on a Wednesday night and could not find anything. I had to squat at a site outside of the park and then stalk people as they packed up in the morning. Memorial Day is typically the second busiest weekend for J Tree (second only to Spring break).

Even if you did find a site in J Tree, you won't find the seclusion that you seek. There are som offroad trails, though, and you can find more info at dirtopia.com or: trails.com/activity.aspx?area=11834

My BF and his buddies go to a "secret" location above Fort Irwin when they want to camp, offroad, and shoot stuff/blow stuff up. I can't disclose the exact location, but there are areas up there that overlook Fort Irwin. Pretty remote and 4x4 is highly recommended.

It will be difficult to find any decent streams at this time of year; I think you would have to head north for that.

Good luck. If you do find something, let us/me know ... I am always looking for good places to camp!
Old 05-19-2010, 06:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by OnBelay
J Tree is so crowded these days
Tell me about it. I run a lot of camping trips for my son's boy scout troop, and we used to do an annual camping/rock climbing trip every fall at J Tree, but last year and this year, we weren't able to secure a group campsite reservation.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:50 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i hear you guys on J tree. unfortuantely, we never bother going anymore because of the crowds.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check out Monache Meadows. It's out there a ways and should be clear by now. Don't know how crowded it will be on a holiday weekend, maybe someone else might have more info.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:57 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Bradlybob
Check out Monache Meadows. It's out there a ways and should be clear by now. Don't know how crowded it will be on a holiday weekend, maybe someone else might have more info.
typically, monache meadows doesn't open until the end of june. last year, the snow fall was very weak and so they did open for memorial day weekend but it was super crowded - trust me, we were there. either way, the snowfall this year has been significant and i can tell you that it won't be opened anytime soon.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
typically, monache meadows doesn't open until the end of june. last year, the snow fall was very weak and so they did open for memorial day weekend but it was super crowded - trust me, we were there. either way, the snowfall this year has been significant and i can tell you that it won't be opened anytime soon.
Thanks, was thinking about a trip up there myself sometime. Didn't think about it being so high and snowy though.

Unfortunately anyplace in So Cal worth going to is going to be crowded.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:11 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Bradlybob
Thanks, was thinking about a trip up there myself sometime. Didn't think about it being so high and snowy though.

Unfortunately anyplace in So Cal worth going to is going to be crowded.
unfortuante indeed but, too true.

regarding monache meadows, the road is typically closed at black rock station until the last weekend of june. exceptions are made but only if the annual snowfall is minimal. we tried going up to horseshoe meadows last weekend and the road was still closed. we did go up into the inyo mountains instead and can tell you that looking over at the sierra nevada's, they are very much packed with snow right now and more snow is expected this week.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by OnBelay
My BF and his buddies go to a "secret" location above Fort Irwin when they want to camp, offroad, and shoot stuff/blow stuff up. !
So where is that location? I cant like your PM

I Suggest
Kern River http://www.totalescape.com/destin/rivers/kern.html
or Apple Valley Hot Springs

I have not gone there for 5 or 6 years so I don't know the crowd condition

x3 J tree... Too crowded

Quick Reply: Need Advice: Best Off-Road Camping Destination in SoCal!