Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

New SoCal Jeep Driver

Old 06-19-2007, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face New SoCal Jeep Driver

Hello new Jeep owner here introducing myself! I am excited to be a part of the community. I have posted a little, but havent' contributed much yet. I've had my Jeep for 2 weeks. I live with my girlfriend in the Silver Lake area, and I work in Sherman Oaks.

I am a total newbie to driving a Jeep, but I have rode along on a few Jeep Club runs near Lake Havasu, so I was inspired to buy this wonderful vehicle. I have been taking it slow and easy, and learning as much as I can out on the trail, and here on this forum.

My trips:
-I have done the Magic Mountain Loop (3n17 > 4n37). This trail was so easy I could hear my jeep laughing at me when I put it in 4L for the first time. At any rate, I learned some of the basics first hand on this trail. It was fun and relaxing, but never a challenge. My friends loved the beautiful views up there.

-My second real time out I got lost in the Angeles Forest starting at the camp "Monte Cristo". I used some printed maps the Forest service was handing out, but the maps were utterly lacking in detail. The MyGig was missing some of the trails back there in the forest and some of the turns weren't marked with trail markers either... so after getting lost for a bit I took the nearest trail to the main road cutting the trip short. I plan to make my way back there again until I know the area like the back of my hand. The trails there offer a bit more challenge, and I am excited to go back.

-This week I am planning another trip out to the Angeles forest again for some camping and relaxation. I hope to get the Jeep out on the trail again over the weekend!

So far, I love my Jeep. I am excited to keep learning and meeting other Jeep owners. Looking forward to meeting you guys.

My Jeep:
2007 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4-door 4x4 (Black)
4-Speed Auto
MyGIG Infotainment system
Dual Top Group
Track-Lok Limited Slip
Trailer Tow Group w/ 4.10 Axle Ratio

Modifications:
Drilled Mirrors
Old 06-19-2007, 04:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by black_sahara07
Hello new Jeep owner here introducing myself! I am excited to be a part of the community. I have posted a little, but havent' contributed much yet. I've had my Jeep for 2 weeks. I live with my girlfriend in the Silver Lake area, and I work in Sherman Oaks.

I am a total newbie to driving a Jeep, but I have rode along on a few Jeep Club runs near Lake Havasu, so I was inspired to buy this wonderful vehicle. I have been taking it slow and easy, and learning as much as I can out on the trail, and here on this forum.

My trips:
-I have done the Magic Mountain Loop (3n17 > 4n37). This trail was so easy I could hear my jeep laughing at me when I put it in 4L for the first time. At any rate, I learned some of the basics first hand on this trail. It was fun and relaxing, but never a challenge. My friends loved the beautiful views up there.

-My second real time out I got lost in the Angeles Forest starting at the camp "Monte Cristo". I used some printed maps the Forest service was handing out, but the maps were utterly lacking in detail. The MyGig was missing some of the trails back there in the forest and some of the turns weren't marked with trail markers either... so after getting lost for a bit I took the nearest trail to the main road cutting the trip short. I plan to make my way back there again until I know the area like the back of my hand. The trails there offer a bit more challenge, and I am excited to go back.

-This week I am planning another trip out to the Angeles forest again for some camping and relaxation. I hope to get the Jeep out on the trail again over the weekend!

So far, I love my Jeep. I am excited to keep learning and meeting other Jeep owners. Looking forward to meeting you guys.

My Jeep:
2007 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4-door 4x4 (Black)
4-Speed Auto
MyGIG Infotainment system
Dual Top Group
Track-Lok Limited Slip
Trailer Tow Group w/ 4.10 Axle Ratio

Modifications:
Drilled Mirrors
Hey I'll keep my eye out for you. I live in Ontario but I work in Van Nuys. Look forwad to seeing ya on the trail as well.
Of course when we go theres a hundred people so even if we are on the same trip we probually wont ever see each other the whole day.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Welcome man looking foward to seeing you out on the trails!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:24 PM
JK Freak

Welcome. So Cal is a great place to own a jk, there are many people that are always willing to go on a run.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

I am new to Jeeps as well. I live in Simi and work in San Fernando. Curious as to how I can get to the Magic Mountain Loop? Even if it is easy, it will be a good start. Last off-roading I did was in my '86 Toyota 4x4 about 13 years ago and ended up in a ditch. Tread-lightly was not in my vocabulary back then.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

yup yup yup.

Welcome. You'll find that this group is diverse and quite friendly!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks all for the welcome.

Originally Posted by Padstack
I am new to Jeeps as well. I live in Simi and work in San Fernando. Curious as to how I can get to the Magic Mountain Loop? Even if it is easy, it will be a good start. Last off-roading I did was in my '86 Toyota 4x4 about 13 years ago and ended up in a ditch. Tread-lightly was not in my vocabulary back then.
From the 118E hop on the 210S to Osborne follow this road to the left (you will have to make a left turn to keep following this road) and it will turn into little tujunga canyon road. Just past the "Bear Divide" ranger station you will see 3n17 on the right. It is paved at this point, but several miles into the drive it will turn into a dirt road. There will be a fork that leads to 4n37 (the fun part), follow that to Soledad Canyon Road. Enjoy the ride! From Soledad you can head east to the 14 to go back home.

Let your gears do all the work because the offroad part is mostly downhill.

Last edited by black_sahara07; 06-20-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks all for the welcome.

From the 118E hop on the 210S to Osborne follow this road to the left (you will have to make a left turn to keep following this road) and it will turn into little tujunga canyon road. Just past the "Bear Divide" ranger station you will see 3n17 on the right. It is paved at this point, but several miles into the drive it will turn into a dirt road. There will be a fork that leads to 4n37 (the fun part), follow that to Soledad Canyon Road. Enjoy the ride! From Soledad you can head east to the 14 to go back home.

Let your gears do all the work because the offroad part is mostly downhill.
Thank you. I'll try to get up there in the next couple of weeks.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Padstack
Thank you. I'll try to get up there in the next couple of weeks.
Sure thing, if you are really concerned about geting lost and need a map, you can get one through trails.com (you will have to sign up for the free trial to get the trail information).
Old 06-20-2007, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Sure thing, if you are really concerned about geting lost and need a map, you can get one through trails.com (you will have to sign up for the free trial to get the trail information).
I was hoping that the map would be in a trail book that I bought recently, but it is not. I found that site earlier today and I will get a map before heading up there. I may even go up to Hungry Valley as well, if I have the time.

toad, sounds like a plan.

Quick Reply: New SoCal Jeep Driver