Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Possible move to LA area

Old 08-29-2013, 08:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure the pay is prob a lot better than in Alabama but I'm also positive the costs of living and mortgage/rent are astronomical compared to over there too. But I'm sure u checked out housing and know that already. I wouldn't let the pay however be ur driving force unless it made sense considering the cost of living here still

It's cool and I lived in LA for a year but traffic and crowds killed it. If I could keep my job and pay from here, I'd buy a mansion on a ton of land back there instead

Last edited by Fugg it; 08-29-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:53 PM
JK Newbie

Default Ccw

Hate to tell ya but if you practice open carry that means you may or may not have other items for recreation!! Ten round mags only and the need to be "fixed". Yeah its bull but just giving you a heads up. Like someone else sad there are great places and not so great places i have delivered the whole ie just know whats around you.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRivera0503
Hate to tell ya but if you practice open carry that means you may or may not have other items for recreation!! Ten round mags only and the need to be "fixed". Yeah its bull but just giving you a heads up. Like someone else sad there are great places and not so great places i have delivered the whole ie just know whats around you.
I don't open carry, CC. I know that isn't a real possibility there. Guess I have to get some 10 rounders, lol.

Yep, looks like this is more than a simple move... Quite a lifestyle change may be ahead. On the bright side, I can damn near leave the top off the jeep right?
Old 09-03-2013, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

If it were me the desicion to move would come down to one thing......

Is this move/job offer improving my quality of life?

Can you afford to live in a good area out here?

Like mentioned Redondo/Hermosa,etc... is a great area with a ton to do. It is also amazingly expensive to own/rent here with a average price of 1.2 million for a 3 bedroom house. Rent is stupid expensive as well (obviously the farther from the beach/nice neighborhoods the cheaper)

My mom lives in Toluka Lake in a house that would sell for around a million dollars and there is no way in hell I would raise my son in that area. I also have friends that live in torrance and I would pass unless you can afford to be close to the nicer areas.

The politics in this state will drive you crazy but the weather is second to none.

Personally I wouldn't consider the move unless you make a combined income of close to 200K or you will be grinding just to try and keep up with the jones's.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jamantste
I don't open carry, CC. I know that isn't a real possibility there. Guess I have to get some 10 rounders, lol.

Yep, looks like this is more than a simple move... Quite a lifestyle change may be ahead. On the bright side, I can damn near leave the top off the jeep right?
All counties are a little different....

With that said Los Angeles is next to impossible unless you have a need and spend a ton of $$$ on court and lawyer fees.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cole Trickle
If it were me the desicion to move would come down to one thing......

Is this move/job offer improving my quality of life?

Can you afford to live in a good area out here?

Like mentioned Redondo/Hermosa,etc... is a great area with a ton to do. It is also amazingly expensive to own/rent here with a average price of 1.2 million for a 3 bedroom house. Rent is stupid expensive as well (obviously the farther from the beach/nice neighborhoods the cheaper)

My mom lives in Toluka Lake in a house that would sell for around a million dollars and there is no way in hell I would raise my son in that area. I also have friends that live in torrance and I would pass unless you can afford to be close to the nicer areas.

The politics in this state will drive you crazy but the weather is second to none.

Personally I wouldn't consider the move unless you make a combined income of close to 200K or you will be grinding just to try and keep up with the jones's.
x2 on everything.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

I am from a very small town in Northern Alabama and I just got a job offer in LA. I am married with a three year old son... And to be honest, kind of apprehensive about moving them to LA.

So can anyone offer up some points to help in this situation? Jeep related or not... Just need some help! lol.
Don't do it! The cost of living factor alone is a good reason to live elsewhere. The stress of daily traffic, foreigners flooding the area, and crooked California politians ripping you off for everything are more reasons to say no to LA. Of course, if you need the job you might have no choice. But don't say I didn't warn ya!
Old 09-03-2013, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

The job is with my current employer. Career wise it would be stupid to pass up since that is a high visibility part of the company. But...
Old 09-03-2013, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

The job is with my current employer. Career wise it would be stupid to pass up since that is a high visibility part of the company. But...
Do you currently own your home?

Give us an idea of square fottage and value. (i just did a search on trulia and it says a 2500 sq foot house sells for around 185K in your city)

Would you be renting or buying in California?

Like I said if this is a good opprotunity and you make great $$$ and can afford the california lifestyle nothing beats southern california....weather,beach,mountains,entertainmen t,etc....

Our schoools are some of the nations worst, Our taxes are some of the nations highest and our gas cost about $4.00 a gallon for 87. I won't even start the talk about how our state is bankrupt and we lead the nation with people that have there hand out.

utilities are up there as well and traffic is something that will take a while to get used to......I commute 25 miles to work each way and it can take 45 minutes-1.5 hours each way.

Its a great place to live and I was born and raised here but if I could take my wife and I's annual salary and move elsewhere I would do it in a heart beat.

Last edited by Cole Trickle; 09-03-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Currently own. We have been in this house for five years and match almost exactly the numbers your search turned up.

We would rent for a while. But I gotta say, I am leaning towards calling it off. Reading articles, talking with folks from there. Just not getting the best vibe right now.

Not all change is good... Ugh, careful what ya wish for.

Quick Reply: Possible move to LA area