Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Project-JK Roktoberfest 2009

Old 09-08-2009, 08:00 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up Project-JK Roktoberfest 2009

If you enjoy camping, hanging out with good friends, playing on the rocks and love to drink beer, you had better make sure to join us at Cougar Buttes this coming October 24th for the Project-JK Roktoberfest 2009!!

So you know, Roktoberfest is being planned as an overnight camping trip but camping is not required. We just figure that after a long day of wheeling and a long night of drinking, it would be better if you just crashed at camp as opposed to risking a crash on the highway. And, while it's not a requirement, we are asking that each Jeep that signs up to come also signs up to bring a 12 pack of beer. Of course, the catch is that each Jeep brings out a different type of beer so that no two are the same. Needless to say, when you sign up to come, please indicate what you will be bringing so that the next person knows to bring something else.

WHO'S COMING LIST
1. WOL's - Stella Artois
2. Trail Bud - Budwiser
3. toad & Bullfrog - Guiness/Bass (Black & Tans)
4. gonegoannas & TikiJK - something nobody else is bringing ???
5. JeepCacher's - party keg of Paulaner Hefe-Weizen and, because it's the season, some Pumpkin Ale.
6. Moochie - Corona
7. Bluegrass Jeepers - Killians
8. MBATF - Fat Tire
9. fish - Shock Top
10. sm_rubi & Blonda - TBD
11. Kupost - Coronado Red Ale
12. Joe Lightfoot - Coors light
13. mmccurdy - Hofbrau Oktoberfest
14. medbender - petes wicked strawberry blond
15. wildandwillin - Sierra Nevada
16. JKMARINE - Bud Light
17. LizardPizza - Widmer and maybe... some Pacifico
18. cyruspura - Heineken
19. Flash1034 - 12-er of Spaten
20. blazer4949 - St. Pauli Girl Beer
21. foxtrot_zulu3 - Hefeweizen
22. FlameRed - Hornsby's Hard Apple Cider and Hoegaarden
23. CA-JK - Hoegaarden
24. pleinair - Miller Lite
25. swbrowne - Mike's Hard Lemonaid
26. Dwikto
27. doojer & doojette - Indian Wells Brewing Company Oktoberfest Brew
28. rangleme - cheapass beer
29. jewels - Pacifico
30. Strainger
31. HolyMolyRacing - Bud Light Wheat
32. serveapurpose - Fat Tire
33. angrychicken - Sierra Nevada
34. You Jeep
35. I8aYota
36. 1dirtracer
37. chads_rubi - Landshark
38. White Rubicon - HolyMolyRacing's brother
39. flyingGreenJeep
40. OSI4
41. mituk - Zywiec
42. beepjeep

MAYBE LIST
1. mm4x4 - Spaten Oktoberfest
2. SGT. - XX and Modelo's
3. tomichicreek21 - Paulaner Oktoberfest
4. fishoutofwater - Franziskaner Hefeweizen
5. akasam9 - two 12 packs!!
6. dunemobbin
7. FireRescue707
8. JKWillie - good ole' Colt 45 & Schlitz
9. jkjeep
10. gregkuiper - Dos Equis
11. 1st Rubicon
12. PoorDad
13. bonerock - Negra Modelo

THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
For those of you who don't know, Cougar Buttes is located east of Victorville in the Lucerne Valley and just off Highway 18. The area is beautiful, offers wide open spaces to camp in, is hospitable to RV's and trailers and is home of the Bullfrog Trail.

The weather predicted for next weekend is partly cloudy skies with day time temps in the low 80's and night time temp in the upper 40's so please come prepaired for warm to cool weather.

So you know, there are 2 vault toilets available in the area (and typically very clean/not stinky) but they aren't exactly super close to where we'll be setting up camp. Needless to say, you may find it necessary to drive out to them or, bring a shovel and find a bush.

Due to the nature of what we are doing and our proximity to other people recreating in the area, I am going to have to ask that you NOT bring firearms to this event and, while I'm eager to party with ya'll, I'd also like to ask that you please save the beers till AFTER we are done wheelin. I won't babysit you guys on this but I would be grateful if you could please respect this request.

Please note that when it comes to food, this is an every man for himself event. Need I say, please pack enough food (breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks) and especially water for yourself and everyone coming with you in your Jeep and for the duration that you will be staying out with us. Typically, the rule of thumb for the desert (EVEN IN COOL WEATHER) is 1 gallon of water per person per day.

All fire restrictions have been lifted so please be sure to bring out some firewood so that we can make a nice big fire and have a hell of a lot of fun that night

THERE ARE NO TRASH FACILITIES - Please come prepared to pack out what you pack in and then some. Cougar Buttes is a beautiful piece of the Mojave Desert but that beauty is starting to fade thanks to all the yahoos who bring out their crap and leave it there. If at all possible, I would be grateful if you could help us to leave the place in better condition than when we get there.

THE PLAN
While a few of us will be heading out on Friday to setup a spot for everyone, the official plan is to meet up at Cougar Buttes, unload and allow everyone a chance to setup camp on Saturday morning. At 10:00 AM, we will meet up at the Bullfrog trailhead and spend the better part of the day wheeling it. For those of you who don't know, Bullfrog is a difficult rated trail but it is also one that I have seen a bone stock X model JK make it through. Granted, we did have to do some stacking and straping to get it through but it is totally doable. The only thing we will require you to have are tow points front and rear and rocker guards.

If all goes according to plan, we should be doing lunch on the trail and then getting back to camp at about 5:00 PM. Once at camp, we will start a fire, have dinner and party till the sun comes up

DIRECTIONS
• Take I-15 to Victorville and in spite of what your GPS may tell you, I would recommend that take the D St. exit (as opposed to Bear Valley Rd.) and head east. This will become Highway 18 and has fewer stop lights.
• Continue on Highway 18 for about 23 miles until you get to the town of Lucerne. There are several gas stations here and I would use the opportunity to top off your tank.
• Back on the road, DO NOT make the turn to follow Highway 18 to the south but rather keep going east on what will now be Highway 247.
• Continue on Highway 247 for about 5 miles and make a left turn onto Camp Rock Rd. There is a big sign here indicating both the road and that you will be entering the Johnson Valley OHV Area.

• Drive 3 miles up Camp Rock Rd. and after you pass the Pistachio Farm to your right, start looking for the street sign for Cambria Rd. Make a right turn here.

• There are roads that go off in every directions from here but try to stay on the one that looks the most well travled. There are a few homes that you will have to drive by so please drive slowly and try not to kick up too much dust.
• Continue heading east for about 2 miles and then start looking towards the rocks on your left. The Hole in the Rock Campsite (because there is a big rock with a hole in it) we were planning to setup at is taken so we will be setting up at the alternate Chuck Lowe site here....

Roktoberfest Location
GPS: N34 29.340 W116 49.372

PROVISIONS & ACCOMODATIONS
If you need to pickup some provisions along the way, I would recommend that you stop in Apple Valley which the town you come into much right off the I-15. There are several supermarkets here as well as a WalMart and a myriad of fast food restaurants. Lucerne is the last chance for you to gas up and pickup some basic snacks. If you want to join us but don't want to camp, your best bet for accomodations is Apple Valley or Victorville.

If you have any questions, please be sure to ask it on this thread so that others can benefit from the subsequent Q&A. Otherwise, please check this thread on a regular basis for updates and additional information.

I look forward to seeing you all soon and partying with you out in the desert!

Last edited by wayoflife; 10-23-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:43 PM
JK-Forum Founder

BTW - If you would like to see a short video that Cindy made highlighting our adventures on the Bullfrog Trail, simply click on the screen or link below:

Project-JK Bullfrog Trail YouTube Video

And, if you would like to see photos from our Bullfrog run, click on the link below:

Project-JK Bullfrog Trail Photo Gallery

Old 09-08-2009, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! I'm the first to respond! That's never happened before.

And, sadly, I have to say that I can't make this one. Have fun without us.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

Default Comeback Trail!

Eddie.. I'm hoping this will be my comeback trail! So for now, put me down as a maybe. Oh and we'd be bringing Spaten Oktoberfest... one of my favorites.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:55 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by kopsy
WOW! I'm the first to respond! That's never happened before.

And, sadly, I have to say that I can't make this one. Have fun without us.
bummer, we will miss you

Originally Posted by mm4x4
Eddie.. I'm hoping this will be my comeback trail! So for now, put me down as a maybe. Oh and we'd be bringing Spaten Oktoberfest... one of my favorites.
outstanding!! sure would be great to have you out with us again
Old 09-08-2009, 09:04 PM
JK Junkie

Eddie, put me down as a maybe... its only 45 minutes and hour from my house....

So let me see what my new schedule is like and hopefully I will be there.

XX and Modelo's
Old 09-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

I'm a maybe for now and FAT TIRE....
Old 09-08-2009, 09:07 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by SGT.
Eddie, put me down as a maybe... its only 45 minutes and hour from my house....

So let me see what my new schedule is like and hopefully I will be there.

XX and Modelo's
yummmm - XX and Modelo's. i got ya down as a maybe and hope you can make it for sure
Old 09-08-2009, 09:11 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by serveapurpose
I'm a maybe for now and FAT TIRE....
got ya down for a maybe and hope you can make it out
Old 09-08-2009, 09:23 PM
JK Junkie

Put me down for a 12 pack of Corona

Quick Reply: Project-JK Roktoberfest 2009