Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Regear estimate

Old 11-07-2015, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regear estimate

Wow....

Just looking to regear my 2010 sport manual.
After contacting several recommended shops I'm amazed at the flux of estimates.
From $900 to 2700 and everything in between.

2700 is crazy. I would want lockers for that. But after talking with a few people I'm just as afraid of the $900 option as well.
I'm not trying to build the baddest jeep in town but I am trying to make sure that everything I have installed is legit.
Was curious as to what others paid for theirs in southern Cali .
Old 11-07-2015, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had mine done at Offroad Evolution. $1,000. I have several thousand miles on them now and everything is good.

If you have 3.21 or 3.56 gears you will need new carriers. I suggest buying a rear locker and having it installed at the same time or you'll end up paying labor twice.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Offroad evolution would be the cheaper option for $999, they told me i had to take Jeep after 500 miles for some some of inspection that was going to cost me $142, and that skipping this task was going to void the warranty. even after this $142 extra cost, is still cheaper that most places. you don't get your old gears back though, which makes wonder if they reuse our old gears to make new ones

As for installing lockers, sure it's the best time, but the price will double, which is crazy
I was quoted $2700 by the same shop, Offroad evo, to install the gears, and just an eaton rear locker.

I'll probably have this done next year after taxes, will see.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Give MIT a call in El Cajon. Tell them Kim sent you.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:40 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input!
Will let you know how it works out.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rsmwrangler
Offroad evolution would be the cheaper option for $999, they told me i had to take Jeep after 500 miles for some some of inspection that was going to cost me $142, and that skipping this task was going to void the warranty. even after this $142 extra cost, is still cheaper that most places. you don't get your old gears back though, which makes wonder if they reuse our old gears to make new ones

As for installing lockers, sure it's the best time, but the price will double, which is crazy
I was quoted $2700 by the same shop, Offroad evo, to install the gears, and just an eaton rear locker.

EVo doesn't make gears so that's impossible. And why would adding a locker double the cost, all your doing is changing the carrier to a locker. I would call and ask for Mel and get a brake down of what the extra cost is for.

Just as a reference I just broke my ring and had it redone, $500 for Yukon gears and Yukon master install kit. And then I had a friend do the gear install for $50. Now I know not everyone has access to a friend that does gears but the point is it is not this mythical creature that you must pay millions of dollars to get the job done. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rsmwrangler

The reason for the 500 mi inspection is to check the gear wear, after they've been properly broken in, and to change out the gear oil.

I've put more than 70k on my Jeep since it was re-geared at Evo. Wouldn't hesitate having them do another. Oh and they weren't only highway miles. It included several trips to the rubicon, Johnson valley, big bear and a host of others without issues.

Now $2700 seems high for gears and 1 locker, but there may be more to it. Gears, locker, wiring/switch.. it wasn't mentioned if the front diff was a D30 or D44.. so yes, I'd want a breakdown on that cost.

Good luck on whatever you decide on.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

How about a set of used Rubicon axles with lockers?? You might get a good setup for the price of gearing.

ORE is great for gears if you live near them.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just had Offroad Evolution do my gears and i am happy with them thus far...

you could check Rebel offroad as well... they have a 3rd party company come and tackle both axles at once and its done in a few hours.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll contact Rebel as they're 20 min away from where i live and see how much they charge to do it, and also hit Evo one more time to check pricing, otherwise, the price from Evo is very appealing for gears only, so good that i might do gears in the next 2 weeks

Quick Reply: Regear estimate