Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

West Coast Road Trip.. Need Suggestions!

Old 05-21-2009, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default West Coast Road Trip.. Need Suggestions!

So I'm travelling from Vancouver, BC to Bishop, CA this June and am looking for some suggestions on trails to ride. I'm doing my own research as well, but it would be great to get some ideas from the forum!

Looking for anything from scenic trail rides, to moderately rated rides/areas.

I'll be travelling down the I-5 through Washinton and Oregon. Once in California, I'll be taking the Mount Shasta Mt Lassen Hwy (#89) east through Lassen National Forest where I switch to #44 then to #36, finally to the 395 to Reno, Nevada. From Reno, I'll be staying on the 395 all the way to Bishop, CA.

I've been out that way before and remember trying to visit Mammoth Lakes, or Mono Lake.. I guess there's a good ride out that way somewhere, but the area was blocked due to a forest fire last time.

I'd love to hear your suggestions, most of the resources I've found aren't tailored specifically to offroad driving, just to scenic trails. There will be many pictures and video to follow, in exchange!

Here's a link to the route we'll be taking.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...8,2.460938&z=9
Old 05-21-2009, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your going right past Bodie, CA (north of Mono Lake). Neat ghost town to visit.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a post of mine from another thread... some of it is a bit more south than where you are going, but it still might help you out-- sounds like a great trip!

Originally Posted by doojer
What a great trip.... there is lots of awesome stuff down 395 from Yosemite to Death Valley. Check out this album where we did Bodie Ghost Town, Laurel Lakes/Mammoth, Reward Mine and the Alabama Hills (at the foot of Mt. Whitney). All of them are super easy terrain with some exceptions at Laurel Lakes, which is moderate in a couple of spots. Also, just north of Yosemite is Kavanaugh Ridge and Mono Lake. My favorite Death Valley trail is Barker Ranch (Charle's Manson's Cabin)/Goler Wash. It's pretty simple and will spit you out on I-15, if you do it right.

I hope this helps-- let us know if you have more questions.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doojer
Here's a post of mine from another thread... some of it is a bit more south than where you are going, but it still might help you out-- sounds like a great trip!
Wow, tons of information there! Thanks a lot! Your pictures are stunning! I'll post my own when I get back as well. I have the luxury of traveling with a pro photographer, so I'm guaranteed good shots!

Originally Posted by el_campede
Your going right past Bodie, CA (north of Mono Lake). Neat ghost town to visit.
I went through the Bodie ghost town last year, it was an awesome drive! I'd love to do it again.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:01 PM
JK Freak

i know a lot of trails around bishop and mammoth i have a motorhome parked in bishop (stored for the summer) when are you going i will meet you for the day or 2 and take you around if you want, i am also a photographer
Old 05-21-2009, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by artpics
i know a lot of trails around bishop and mammoth i have a motorhome parked in bishop (stored for the summer) when are you going i will meet you for the day or 2 and take you around if you want, i am also a photographer
I'll be there between June 15 and 19. Our main reason for going is the bouldering and rock climbing in the Bishop area, but if I have my way I'll be able to spend some time on trails too. I mean it's my Jeep and I'm driving right?

I'd love a tour, that would be awesome! The guy I'm traveling with would love to chat with another photographer too.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rubicon trail

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show....php?t=26897#7

Old 05-21-2009, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's a great resource! I forgot about the region specific forums.. I suppose that would have been the first place to look!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bcjeep
I'll be there between June 15 and 19. Our main reason for going is the bouldering and rock climbing in the Bishop area, but if I have my way I'll be able to spend some time on trails too. I mean it's my Jeep and I'm driving right?

I'd love a tour, that would be awesome! The guy I'm traveling with would love to chat with another photographer too.
This sounds like fun.

i know the
Buttermilks very well and the Happy Boulders also the Sad boulders.
if you have ropes we could visit the Gorge. i know all the Hot Tubs in the area. we could try the warming wall in Mammoth i also got some great camp spots that will blow your mind and also some great views sunset at Mono Lake. Tell you what we will leave your friend on the iron man traverse at the buttermilks that should keep him busy for a while so count me in, will pm you my cell number nearer the date.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:13 AM
JK Freak

I should be in bishop by 6:00pm, should have some good times see you soon.

Quick Reply: West Coast Road Trip.. Need Suggestions!