Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

A SEMA exclusive Sneak Peak at Superchips new in cabin programmer

Old 01-19-2011, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott@Superchips
Unfortunately pricing is still being withheld and the I am the ETA is still listed for spring 2011.

Sorry I don't have more details right now. I will be sure to post up new data as it I get it.

Scott
Is it spring yet? Need an android nut beta tester?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, this is going to be very cool! I needed a programmer and being able to integrate with my existing Android device makes this a very attractive option. Not needing hardware will hopefully make this fairly affordable!
Old 02-13-2011, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Since I'm still being super impatient about getting my hands on one of these I decided to do some searching for more info on it. Here are the results...
A few sites say it'll be available in February 2011.
I found a site for it with lots of details and specs. http://www.superchipsvivid.com/
At the bottom you can click on the part number for Jeeps.
So it looks like it's $699 retail or that site is selling it for $599 and it says it is currently out of stock.
I'm ordering from whatever site I find that has them in stock first.

Last edited by ruppster; 02-13-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any news on this???!
Old 02-16-2011, 04:02 AM
JK Freak

If you need another tester with CAI and possibly an exhaust very soon on a Daily Driver let me know. If not then I will most likely be ordering this for the launch!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Kinda off topic but the $600 price tag is starting to weigh heavily on me. Mainly because of today's news of the Motorola Xoom tablet wi-fi version being $600 too. This Superchips Vivid is a Archos 43 with added software and a OBD-II bluetooth module. A plain old Archos 43 is $249 retail. Shop around and you can find it for cheaper. So then we're talking a $350-$450 difference for the Superchips software and bluetooth module. The bluetooth modules can be had for less than $50. So that leaves $300-$400 for the Superchips software. That amount would cover the purchase of a Superchips Flashpaq. So did they come up with the $700 retail price by just adding the retail prices of the Archos 43, a Superchips Flashpaq, and bluetooth module???
If Superchips knows anything about Android they would offer the software in the Android market so it can be installed on pretty much any device running Android 2.2 or higher. Let the end user choose their Android device and bluetooth module. BUT any price over $100 for just the software in the market would be ridiculous and even $50 or $75 for it would be stretching it. They can make up the lower cost of the software in volume of sales.
I'm having a really hard time justifying spending $600+ for $300ish of hardware running $300ish of special software. Superchips have pretty much painted themselves into a corner here. They need to start selling the Flashpaqs for $100 and the Vivid for $350.

Hopefully all that makes sense to someone.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Superchips Representative

Here is an updated picture of the new device and the ‘steering wheel’ menu. The tuning experience in the VIVID is like nothing else the industry has seen. It really takes advantage of the Android operating system and the power of the Archos tablet. As you can see there are five icons shown, but those can be rotated with a touch of the screen to reveal different vehicle performance apps and everyday use apps such as playing music, videos or games. From the Android menus you can also surf the web, check email and do posts to social media sites or whatever else you install from one of the many Android app sites.

VIVID does everything with the vehicle using a high-speed Bluetooth connection providing a seamless experience for tuning, gauges and the data acquisition app. The gauges will be available as analog and digital in preset layouts. Eventually, we would like to make it so you can create your own layouts, but that is further down the road. The boss isn’t letting me discuss or show the data acquisition in the VIVID because our competitors always look to us for innovation and design cues so they can try to stay relevant so we are staying quiet on that one until closer to launch. I got my first demo of the app Monday and it is awesome!

More as I am allowed to put it out including pictures of some of the other apps and screens.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VIVID ARCHOS_with Red Icons.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	130331  

Last edited by Scott@Superchips; 02-23-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just found out that the Superchips app will be available in the android market. All you'll need is a bluetooth OBDC connector to go with it. So everyone with Android phones will be able to do this. That is good news. It will be interesting to see what the initial price of the Vivid unit will be given that the Archos 43 by itself will be around $150.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:10 PM
JK Junkie

This looks sick! already have a superchips tho but still such a cool idea.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

Any word when this is out in stores yet?

Quick Reply: A SEMA exclusive Sneak Peak at Superchips new in cabin programmer