Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

Superchips TrailDash now available!

Old 08-16-2012, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepgrnjk
I was told if you want to install in the pod you have to purchase a separate cable...is that right? And does it calibrate your ecu for tire and gear changes?
I have not heard anything about a separate cable. Could make sense though; maybe it is a better shielded cable?

It does indeed have the ability to program different tire sizes and gear ratios. I have made a tire size change successfully. I am getting new gears next week, so I will be making that change as well.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I believe I have found a solution to this. I have a 2010 with nav, bluetooth, etc. The GPS module is not connected to the top of the dash panel for my model. It is connected via a small plate on top of the stereo and oriented almost diagonally. The cable for the GPS is wrapped in insulation, however, there is another cable with a male plug also coming from behind the stereo. This cable is not attached to anything and basically is "taped" to the top of the stereo and secured via a christmas tree zip clip. This cable is also not insulated and the wires are exposed. Although not connected, I believe this cable has something to do with the compass which may feed to the nav. I am no engineer by any means so I am not sure. I decided to cut the cable away from the zip tie, wrap it in insulating tape, and stuff it behind the stereo. I then took the GPS module and moved it towards the rear of the stereo as described in the Superchips Dash Pod Directions, however it is oriented diagonally as it was before. Granted this is what I did with the GPS module when I had the issues before, but now it is not interfered with by this rouge cable. I have had zero issues with the nav or the compass now. It may be possible that the Superchips Trail Dash cable is not interfering with the GPS, but the rouge cable may be the issue with it being under the GPS module after it is moved. I will report back after a week, but believe this fixed it for me. The dash pod is too cool not to use.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by salmonaediot
I have not heard anything about a separate cable. Could make sense though; maybe it is a better shielded cable?

It does indeed have the ability to program different tire sizes and gear ratios. I have made a tire size change successfully. I am getting new gears next week, so I will be making that change as well.
Not needed, the cable that comes with the Trail Dash is long enough to reach the Dash Pod being routed the way the instructions are laid out with plenty of cable left over.

The Dash Pod is very nice and I recommend adding it.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by banx
Not needed, the cable that comes with the Trail Dash is long enough to reach the Dash Pod being routed the way the instructions are laid out with plenty of cable left over.

The Dash Pod is very nice and I recommend adding it.
Correct. It is plenty long enough. I am just suggesting that if SC indicates you need a different cable, it could have to do with shielding.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Superchips Representative

Originally Posted by jeepgrnjk
I was told if you want to install in the pod you have to purchase a separate cable...is that right? And does it calibrate your ecu for tire and gear changes?
Thanks to our friends on the forum who chimed in here. To confirm, you do not need to purchase a separate cable to install the pod. We can account for gears and tires on the JKs. If you ever have techincal questions you can always email tech@superchips.com or give us a call 888.227.2447. We try to keep an eye on the forums as best we can. We appreciate your support!
Old 08-24-2012, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well unfortunately my fix only lasted about a week, back to a scrambled nav and compass. Will keep tinkering with it.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jmcginn0414
Thanks to our friends on the forum who chimed in here. To confirm, you do not need to purchase a separate cable to install the pod. We can account for gears and tires on the JKs. If you ever have techincal questions you can always email tech@superchips.com or give us a call 888.227.2447. We try to keep an eye on the forums as best we can. We appreciate your support!
You will need, however, a separate antenna cable for the GPS as the Trail Dash mounted in the Dash Pod may interfere with the OEM one and cause issues. SuperChips says they have only had 3 'reported' cases of interference-- they all must have come from this site. Can't imagine no one else has had an issue.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 PM
JK Newbie

Cool

I was having the scrambled GPS issue also and was one of the folks to report it to SuperChips.

I picked up a new 10' GPS antenna cable off ebay for about $17 including shipping. Ran it from the radio over the drivers pillar then up and now have the antenna on top of the radio bar above the seats. Now getting more satellites and better reception. Also no interference with the Dash pod.

While in there I also rerouted the dashpod cable to come in to the back of the radio compartment rather the way the instructions had it going to the front. Going thru the front had caused a minor kink in the cable.

Now its all working.

If you do this make sure that the GPS cable you pick up has the blue fakra connection.

If you want see my install, see thread on the Erie jeep People site.

Last edited by JKRob; 11-04-2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: link to install thread added.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any idea if this will work with a JK that has a 5.7L hemi? I really want one of these and know that the OBD port will still provide the data to monitor the gauges, but I am curious if the tunes for different octane fuels will communicate with the ECU used with the Hemi V8's?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2013, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

Default Trail Dash for 2011?

Does anyone know when the trail dash will be available for '11s?

Quick Reply: Superchips TrailDash now available!