Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

$95 to do what

Old 02-05-2009, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recieved the locking lug nuts from Jeep for Christmas.
From what i'm gathering here these aren't that great and the key breaks. Is this true?
Old 02-05-2009, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by uwisuwerme7
I recieved the locking lug nuts from Jeep for Christmas.
From what i'm gathering here these aren't that great and the key breaks. Is this true?
Nope there is nothing wrong with them. The mopar ones came on my jk when I bought it. That was in Dec of 06 and It just turned over 46k miles. I have rotated my tire ever 3-5k since new. I have yet to have a single issue with mine. That being said I don't use a impact wrench on the locking lug.

Its always supposed to be the first one you take off and the last one you torque. Treat them right and you will have no problems.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by derff96963
Nope there is nothing wrong with them. The mopar ones came on my jk when I bought it. That was in Dec of 06 and It just turned over 46k miles. I have rotated my tire ever 3-5k since new. I have yet to have a single issue with mine. That being said I don't use a impact wrench on the locking lug.

Its always supposed to be the first one you take off and the last one you torque. Treat them right and you will have no problems.
I agree, the Mopar locks are great quality. I purchased mine on day one. I've done five tire rotations. No issues to date!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

man i work at discount tire and i do this ALL day long for people for free. we hammer on what looks like a socket basically and it grabbs it and we back it off with the impact. heck, most of the time we actually give you free replacement basic lugs too!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Our local Discount tire removed all 5 of mine for free,after a dumbass at the dealership put them on with an impact and I couldn't get any of the locks off by hand,Muchas Gracias Discount!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CRUISER1027
I've used this trick a few times. Find a box end wrench or socket that is just barely too small to go over the locking nut and drive it on with a hammer. Then drive it off after it is clear.
X2 - This is how crooks get them off! (I saw it on some tv special.)
Old 02-06-2009, 04:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by saltman
All the suggestions here will work. My suggestion is to not put them on. Anyone that is going to steal your wheels and tires will have no problems with the locks. They won't even slow them down. They are a hassle to deal with offroad and down the line when they get all screwed up.
Wheel locks will slow them down, albeit not by much. And they may attract attention (hammering things on, after all, does create a racket). Regardless, using your logic there is no point to locking your Jeep's doors. Have you ever seen a locksmith unlock a vehicle without a key? He may as well have a key because it won't take him more than literally a few seconds. So why lock the vehicle? Because not every thief is skilled at it, and the would-be miscreant may just go somewhere else where his theft is easier. Having said that, I should add that I don't lock my Jeep with the softtop on (since a pocket knife is an effective key). I also have the Mopar wheel locks and, as I said easier, got rid of the Gorilla locks because of the different size. The Mopar locks are McGard. My only complaint is they're a little longer than the stock lugs, so they stick out a bit from the wheel.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MOWrangler
X2 - This is how crooks get them off! (I saw it on some tv special.)
Did you notice my shifty eyes?!?
Old 02-06-2009, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CRUISER1027
I've used this trick a few times. Find a box end wrench or socket that is just barely too small to go over the locking nut and drive it on with a hammer. Then drive it off after it is clear.

x2 on this, I have done it a few times.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default So are any locks needed

My salesman suggested wheel locks. Currently have a cheap set on the spare. So is it really worth it to upgrade and put one on every wheel (gorilla or mopar) Also, looking at the catalogs you can get locks so people don't take your doors or open the hood. Are these necessary?

First JK or wrangler

DD

Quick Reply: $95 to do what