Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

[B]Screw the Doors?[/B]

Old 05-27-2008, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had them out since the first time I took the doors off. Having them off does not really change the security of the Jeep. If you notice the actual door panel, the panel is designed such that the door would have to be open to remove the doors(there are interference issues with the metal if it is closed)
Old 05-27-2008, 09:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. T
took mine off the first time i took the doors off and haven't used them since. no issues here.
same here.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by EVERYBODY ON THIS THREAD
took torx off, left them off
me too, though I only just took the doors off this weekend. I'll be buying a mirror very soon though.

I did notice something though... when removing the door, gotta open it all the way, like, 90 degrees from the body. The part of the door under the hinge hits the hinge when removing the door if its not opened wide. If the door isn't opened wide enough (for those worrying about crashes, etc) it won't pop off. Besides, as long as it's latched closed, it shouldn't go anywhere anyways.

plk457, perhaps this is your problem?
the first time I tried removing them, i kept hitting the little flange of metal under the hinge. For the front doors, I nearly had to have the mirror almost touching the front fender.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:29 AM
JK Freak

Same here, took them out at the begining of last summer and never bothered putting them back on. They've been off for about a year now, no troubles.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

For as little time that it takes to put them in, I just go ahead and do it. I mostly do that so I dont have to worry about losing the screws.

Gravity is the real force that keeps them in place.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plk457
I can't even get my doors off but the screws have been off of mine for months.
You wanna throw that out & let us take some shots at it? The thing that took the longest for me was finding the right Torx srew. After that, unlatch the red security thingy on the electrical socket connection, lift the retaining strap off, open the door really wide (forward past its normal open spot), and gently lift.

I'd say the door ways less than 30 lbs. The only thing I can think is that you didn't open the door wide enough.

..... Everyone else, thanks for the thoughts/advice. Drove around today with no screws & will probably keep them in that little "storage trunk" in the back. I thought about the roll-over condition also... the door can't come out until it opens because of the hinge design, and if the door is open in a roll-over it's not doing me any good anyway...
Old 05-27-2008, 01:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default wouldn't be there if they weren't needed

Originally Posted by rush1517
The first time I took the doors off, I put the screws in a zip-lok bag and put in the storage compartment in the rear and I haven't seen them since. I have 52K miles on the Jeep without incident. The only time they will go back on is if I sell it and whoever buys it puts them on.

I don't understand what their purpose is. If the door is open, the weight holds them in place. If the door is closed it's locked and they can't come off anyway... Seriously, what are they there for??
Those Torx bolts on your door hinges are there for a reason. It's to keep the hinge halves together in case of an accident (sideswipe). With the bolts removed regardless of the little step that holds them together if bent in a sideswipe accident you will likely see the front part of your door come off the body hinge halves. This is NOT a good thing... I was younger once also and I ran my jeep without doors, hell , I'll probably run the JK some that way too, but not in heavy commuter traffic and not with the grandkids in it. Take 2 minutes and throw the bolts back in the hinges for regular traffic driving, the ambulance crew will thank you.....
Old 05-27-2008, 06:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Actually, I just remembered that they are in my glovebox from last weekend. They don't seem to be rattling too much, but I'll probably put them back on for the winter or something...
Old 05-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Ben
JK Freak

Cool

I have had em off 2 months now, no problem.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:36 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't remember where I put mine oh well, my doors are coming off seems like every other day lately...

Quick Reply: [B]Screw the Doors?[/B]