Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

08 Engine Concern

Old 11-04-2014, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Engine Concern

Hey Guys,

So this morning I got into my jeep and turned the ignition on and sat there for a few minutes. I then put it in drive and all of a sudden I hear a knocking sound coming from the engine compartment. Ive never heard this noise before and it only happened when in drive. I tried putting it neutral and then park with no noise replicated but then once in drive and the knocking sound came back.

Anyone ever experienced this?
Its an 08 with 75k miles and no lift (i know...soon).
Old 11-05-2014, 08:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Possibly no one has replied because from your description is could be several things. It could be an engine problem with something as severe as a rod knocking under load. It could even be a front axle/drivetrain issue.

Sorry but it is kind of hard to tell from here. Have you checked the engine oil? Does it burn or leak oil? Has it ever been run low on oil?
Old 11-05-2014, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Engine oil is good and it burns but very little if any at all. I constantly check my oil so never gets low enough for concern. I listened for it today and heard nothing so I'm just going to chalk it up as a jeep noise for now unless it comes back.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:51 PM
JK Newbie

dude, its a knock. happened to my JKU at around 104k. weird knock/ping only in drive, only hearing during acceleration at times, anyways, crank snapped and i need a new engine...but if its more of a metal rattle you can check out the CATs, those also went out on me...lol screw this jeep. i think i just got a bad model. still love this piece of shit.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

it definitely was a weird knock/vibration but I wasn't accelerating I had my foot on the break and it was in drive I was getting ready to take off but wanted to set my phone up first and thats when i noticed it.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigd589706
it definitely was a weird knock/vibration but I wasn't accelerating I had my foot on the break and it was in drive I was getting ready to take off but wanted to set my phone up first and thats when i noticed it.
Had the idle slowed enough to struggle? Could it have been a misfire?
Is it still happening?

Any chance it's transmission related?
Have you serviced the trans yet? Check the fluid level and color.

Last edited by Jiblet; 11-10-2014 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Single knock or clunk or was it continuous?
Old 11-10-2014, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

If oil is good, check spark plugs. Check the easy/cheap things first. I wouldn't let it go and chalk it up to anything but a sign. It may have been something that self resolved like a cat stuck under the hood (as it gets cooler, all sorts of mammals will climb up into engine compartments to get out of the wind) but that too may have messed up things.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JR-JK-TX
dude, its a knock. happened to my JKU at around 104k. weird knock/ping only in drive, only hearing during acceleration at times, anyways, crank snapped and i need a new engine...but if its more of a metal rattle you can check out the CATs, those also went out on me...lol screw this jeep. i think i just got a bad model. still love this piece of shit.
Any other symptoms? Misfire? Loss of power? Etc. Seems harsh that knock/ping resulted in broken crank. Mine is defininitely noisy. Now im terrified! Im sure a lot of other people reading this are as well. Ha.

Next thing. Did you rebuild or swap new motor?? Cost?
Old 11-12-2014, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bigd589706
Hey Guys,

So this morning I got into my jeep and turned the ignition on and sat there for a few minutes. I then put it in drive and all of a sudden I hear a knocking sound coming from the engine compartment. Ive never heard this noise before and it only happened when in drive. I tried putting it neutral and then park with no noise replicated but then once in drive and the knocking sound came back.

Anyone ever experienced this?
Its an 08 with 75k miles and no lift (i know...soon).
I had something similar. But it was after I installed an engine / transmission skid plate. The exhaust pipe would knock against the skid plate.

Quick Reply: 08 Engine Concern