Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

08 unlimited reverse lights

Old 02-13-2019, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 unlimited reverse lights

This is my first post in the forums....hope I'm in the right place. I'm at whitts end with my reverse lights, not finding anything of help searching the internet. Both of my reverse lights stopped working, replaced bulbs...not working, checked the only fuse marked/specifies anything related to the reverse lights.....dont work....replaced the reverse light switch.....don't work. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-04-2019, 08:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you check for power at the bulb end?
Old 04-05-2019, 03:27 AM
JK Newbie

Default Reverse lights

I have no power at either light...new fuse, switch and bulbs....Jeep dealership wanted 135.00 to simply look at it then of course it would be extensive labor to determine the issue.....NOT. I bought a Chilton manual because it apparently had diagrams, which it does but not good ones. All of the other lights in the back work correctly but I don't know where all of the ground points and specific wiring is.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It certainly sounds like a simple electrical problem. Just keep asking around, and someone will help you.

I stopped going to the dealership years ago. My regular garage is now charging under $100 per hour (cheap, I'm told), so your dealer may not be so unreasonable.
The following users liked this post:
Jeep08unlx (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Okay, I'll say it... I hate to, but it's necessary... have you tried unhooking your battery for 30 minutes or so? This could be TIPM related.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Default 08 unlimited reverse lights

This is probably like beating a dead horse but I have a question. I took the connector off of the reverse light switch the other day turn the ignition on and I have power on one wire I tried to make a little jumper to go across to the other one but nothing ever came on. I'm curious if there's a better way to test the switch and if anybody knows which wire has power constantly or if the other ones are ground or how it works maybe
Old 04-12-2019, 12:58 PM
JK Newbie

I did try the trick of unhooking the battery but it didn't do anything different. According to the Jeep dealership the PCM tested good but I'm not having problems with anything else but the back up lights now
Old 04-12-2019, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I wish I could be more help but I swear I just read another thread with the same/similar problem. It ended up being some rodents had chewed on some wires as the rodents tend to do. I believe the wires were up towards the engine bay. If I find it, I'll post a link.

You could always start at the back tail light connections and work your way forward to figure out if anything chewed the wires.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Found it:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...issues-349070/

Seems like the chewed wires were hiding under the TIPM. There's a connector there which has all those rear tail light signals. I would check there, inspect those wires. If they look ok, then get out a volt meter and start testing the signals at that connector. If they're good at the connector, then you know the problem is between that connector and the rear. If not ok at the connector near the TIPM, then it's likely somewhere in the TIPM.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-12-2019 at 01:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jedg (04-12-2019)

Quick Reply: 08 unlimited reverse lights