Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The 12 quart Oil change!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I exchanged my 4 free oil changes for 4 free oil filters!!! I'll do it right myself!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

It could happen. I bought an old BMW 320 long ago and went to change the oil. Evidently it didn't have the correct dip stick in it because it read normal, but when opened the fill cap I saw that the entire valve train was nearly covered in motor oil! Seriously!

When I bought it I just looked at the stick, nothing else. I did drain about 9 qts of oil out of the 4 cyl engine. Strangely enought it didn't do any harm to any seals or gaskets that I could see.

True story.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Default The pan was empty

Originally Posted by Edge Hawk
was this an empty open oil catch pan or the kind with a top and a drain?

Is it even possible to pour 12 Qts in there?
I'm 100% positive that the oil pan was empty when I started. I have a pan where the whole top comes off. I remember scrapping out some hard sediment in the bottom of the pan from using it under the lawn mower. So I cleaned out that crap before I started.

My pan is just 12 quarts. I was stunned that the oil just kept coming and coming and coming. I got real nervous when the level started to get close to the lip of the pan.

I've put about 1000 mi on since the oil change, and it does not seem to be an issue.

The incompetence just pisses me off. If that was my kid that did the oil change, I'd slap him in the head, twice.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by valovic
I'm 100% positive that the oil pan was empty when I started. I have a pan where the whole top comes off. I remember scrapping out some hard sediment in the bottom of the pan from using it under the lawn mower. So I cleaned out that crap before I started.

My pan is just 12 quarts. I was stunned that the oil just kept coming and coming and coming. I got real nervous when the level started to get close to the lip of the pan.

I've put about 1000 mi on since the oil change, and it does not seem to be an issue.

The incompetence just pisses me off. If that was my kid that did the oil change, I'd slap him in the head, twice.
AWESOME, wall to wall counseling can be useful.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worked at an an oil change shop in high school for a couple years. In that time, I saw the tech do all kinds of bone headed things. Double-filled more engines than you would believe, but we caught them them before they left. It happens with the monotony of the job, but we always checked the dip-sticks as a final step before closing the hood.

I had the dealer do my first change because it was free, but double-checked everything. Do my own now, and still double-check the work.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baileyj
AWESOME, wall to wall counseling can be useful.
We had the manual for W2W at work

Quick Reply: The 12 quart Oil change!