Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

1st gear issues stuck!!

Old 07-21-2009, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gear issues stuck!!

So I've had this issue for. While when I'm driving for a while and need to go back to first gear it gets stuck or hard to put in if I push it will go in but it's like I'm jamming it in I made an app for the dealer but I hate them always find a way to charge me or blame btw the first gear works fine when first start car up but after a little drivn won't go in first gear smoothly any help appreciated
Old 07-21-2009, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not sure, but i've tried shifting to first while coasting to a stop. I find that if your going too fast, it wont let you. Could this be your problem?
Old 07-21-2009, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

i would start with a fluid change.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie

Why would you ever downshift into first? Just asking....
Old 07-21-2009, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default k

so i wasnt downshifting just when i had to start back off in 1st gear either a light or a stop sign something like that. I have 12k miles on the jeep and have done like 3 or 4 oil changes. It happens when i am driving the car for like an hour or more and doing constant changing of gears or need to keep going back to 1st it like doesnt go in smoothly it like gets stuck as if i iwas trying to downshift into 1st driving like 40 you know how any manual wont really let you there is a guard thre so thats what i feels like. thanks again
Old 07-21-2009, 06:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a similar issue with mine and the dealer informed me that it is due too the transmission not having synchronized gears in first and reverse.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would avoid shifting into first unless close to a stop. If you are going 5 mph or a little higher I would just make sure you rev match her well.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're not trying to shift into first too soon, this kinda problem is usually caused by somethin awry in the clutch mechanism. Especially on hydraulic clutches. Since first and reverse are the lowest two ratios, they will require the most clutch action to engage. You can verify whether it's a clutch issue simply by trying to engage reverse while you having difficulty engaging first. If reverse is the same, I would look at the clutch master cylinder or clutch slave cylinder.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

mine has the same issue...don't really know what to do about it

Quick Reply: 1st gear issues stuck!!