Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2 door freedom top foot print

Old 08-26-2007, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 door freedom top foot print

In anticipation of the arrival of my 2 door JK, I'd like to build a platform in my garage this weekend to store the hard top. What are the dimensions of the big piece of the three piece hard top? I've heard it weighs about 100 lbs.

Anybody know of a track system for winches? I'd also like to mount a winch from a track from the ceiling, pick the roof up in one place, slide the winch back over the platform, and lower the roof on to the platform.

Thanks,
Glen
Old 08-27-2007, 05:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bikerglen
In anticipation of the arrival of my 2 door JK, I'd like to build a platform in my garage this weekend to store the hard top. What are the dimensions of the big piece of the three piece hard top? I've heard it weighs about 100 lbs.

Anybody know of a track system for winches? I'd also like to mount a winch from a track from the ceiling, pick the roof up in one place, slide the winch back over the platform, and lower the roof on to the platform.

Thanks,
Glen
I think it was harber freight that had a track system at one time. I don't know if they still do or not.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can measure my hard top tonight after work for you. I believe it weighs around 90 lbs.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:38 PM
JK Newbie

Default Glad you asked!

Originally Posted by bikerglen
In anticipation of the arrival of my 2 door JK, I'd like to build a platform in my garage this weekend to store the hard top.
Good call! I plan on doing just the same!
Old 08-28-2007, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

finally got around to measuring my hard top....about 64" wide and 51" front to back.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

90lbs?

It seems lighter to me...
Old 08-30-2007, 07:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CincyJK
finally got around to measuring my hard top....about 64" wide and 51" front to back.
Cool! Thanks. I'll post pictures when it's built.

-Glen
Old 09-03-2007, 05:47 PM
JK Freak

Default Platform built! / Google Street View

I built the platform to store the Jeep hard top today. Finished size is 6' by 6'. I plan on hanging it between the ceiling and the garage door tracks since the ceiling is 11 feet high and the garage door tracks are at about 7 feet. I'll post more pictures once I get it hung up.

While I was standing in my driveway building the platform, the Google StreetView car drove by and took my picture!

-Glen
Old 09-03-2007, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I dont know about those dog clips and chain. May want to step it up because of the total lbs you will be hanging.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

I barely passed statics back in college. :angry: About the only thing I remember is something about not being able to push on a rope. Here's my best analysis of the situation:

Each corner supports consists of the following in this order from ceiling to platform:

screw eye -> threaded quick link -> chain -> spring link -> screw eye.

The screw eyes have a safe working load of 260lbs.
The quick links have a safe working load of 880lbs.
The chain has a safe working load of 440lbs.
The spring links have a safe working load of 200lbs.

Platform weighs about 50lbs. Roof weighs about 100lbs. Total weight is 150lbs distributed roughly evenly about the four corners which is about 40lbs a corner. Double that to be safe---80 lbs/corner. That's still well below the 200lbs safe working load of the weakest component.

Having said that, I'm replacing the spring links with threaded gate climbing carabiners. The spring links just seem cheap and don't really give me any confidence.

I'm more worried about the threaded screw eyes pulling out of the ceiling joists or the platform than having a mechanical failure of a component.

-Glen

Quick Reply: 2 door freedom top foot print