Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2 DR soft top, putting it up alone.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I push the whole thing up and over and work from the front back.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as i pull up my top from the side, i also use the middle bar are pull that with it, does a good job of keeping the other end from sliding down. works great for me
Old 07-27-2009, 06:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have the suunrider but putting up the top on my 2 dr isnt even close to as hard as you say......
Old 07-27-2009, 07:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BaltChief
x2.....flip the whole thing over the bars....it makes it real easy.
x3. Get in the back seat and pull the whole thing over your head. It gets real quick and easy with a little practice.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
I dont have the suunrider but putting up the top on my 2 dr isnt even close to as hard as you say......
Me either, i just grab both bows & flop the whole thing forward, latch the front latches, & flip the rear back down.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BNE_JK
Try these:
1 open both doors
2. stand behind your spare tire, and grab the whole top thingo, throw/push it over the roll bars
3. while the top over the roll bar, use one hand to held it up, walk to 1 side of your jeep, use another hand to pull the sunrider bit over the door frame,
4. continue push that sunrider bit down, till you hear 'click', you might need both hand here
5. click the other side
6. now the top is hold in to place pretty well on top of the roll cage. proceed to do the rest bits.
That's it exactly. Takes me less than 5 minutes from start to finish. The key is when you are stnding at the rear of the Jeep, swing gate open, to push the center bow up high so the front of the top just flops onto the windshield header. Most of the time if I get it just right at least one of the sunrider clips will bite and that makes the process go that much smoother. I CAN see how a big lift could make it more of a PITA.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

Cool, I haven't tried lifting the WHOLE top over at once... that might just do it for me.

It doesn't help that I'm only 5'7" tall.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

I had problems with it first, found it the easiest to stand on either side, grab both of the bows and keep them pretty close together and lift them together. Then just latch the front and finish up the rest
Old 07-27-2009, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I discovered a little trick the other day to keep the top from sliding back after you throw it over the top. The sails are fairly stiff and if you place the bottom of them on the edge of the tub they will hold the top up so that you can walk to the front to hook the latches.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

I just stand on either side and start raising the header once the other side gets hung up I grab the midle bow and push that to help the top go up and over the roll bars. I have a 2dr and can deff see how it would totally suck on a 4dr or if you are vertically challenged. I agree with the whole flipping the entire top up though, I have done that a few times for cleaning purposes looks really silly but hey it works.

Quick Reply: 2 DR soft top, putting it up alone.