Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007 3.8L losing coolant

Old 09-29-2013, 09:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ncb
With a head gasket leaking it can burn it in one of the cylinders.
Wouldn't the higher pressure in the cylinder overcome the cooling water system's pressure and force it back into the rad, causing it to overflow during the operation?
Old 10-02-2013, 04:14 PM
JK Newbie

I was losing coolant at 30k on my 07 , no visible puddles on the ground but small drips of coolant were visible around the water pump, so I decided to put a quarter bottle of liquid gasket sealer in the overflow coolant tank and I now have 80k on it and haven't added a drop of coolant since. I believe in taking the pill before operating.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Liquid gasket sealer? Like Liquid Copper Stop Leak? I think I would only do that as a last resort.

Originally Posted by adampepper2012@gmail.com
I was losing coolant at 30k on my 07 , no visible puddles on the ground but small drips of coolant were visible around the water pump, so I decided to put a quarter bottle of liquid gasket sealer in the overflow coolant tank and I now have 80k on it and haven't added a drop of coolant since. I believe in taking the pill before operating.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

Don't be afraid of liquid engineering, I've used it many times , you just don't want to over use it .
Old 10-09-2013, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm losing coolant on my 08 with 37k. It isint rapidly but prob since the beginning of summer. Maybe slightly before that. And every once in a while if I'm at a light I see a tab bit of smoke from the grill. No puddles or noticeable leaks. Should I be worried
Old 10-09-2013, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Try a quarter bottle of liquid gasket seal and see what happens. It's made for small leaks, that you catch before they get too big.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

My main question is that is it normal to lose coolant after time. I mean it's now 5 years old with 37k. And it does go off road on weekends and deals with nyc driving during the week when I take it to work. And I'm also a little hard on the pedal
Old 10-10-2013, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

I would say that for most cars , no it is not normal. A jeep , yes it is normal to lose some coolant after awhile but not 37k. I would address the issue somehow or you will be adding a lot of coolant over the years.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onecrazyfuq
My main question is that is it normal to lose coolant after time. I mean it's now 5 years old with 37k. And it does go off road on weekends and deals with nyc driving during the week when I take it to work. And I'm also a little hard on the pedal
Hard to say what normal is. How much coolant have you actually lost? Are you checking it while the engine is hot? Then compare the level in the expansion bottle when cold.

The solution is 50% water so evaporation can account for a little. But very little if everything is functioning. It's a normally closed system except for the expansion tank. But the cap could be failing. Is the upper hose collapsing when cold?

If you suspect a leak you can have it pressure tested. And at 5 years, it's time to replace that coolant if you haven't already. The 08s require HOAT coolant.

The mist rising from the grill is commonly seen during light rain or after splashing through puddles. Probably not coolant. Leaking coolant has a distinctive smell to it.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't use the jeep everyday. The last time I checked it wasent driven for 3 days. And the expansion tank level is below the minimum line. I have not checked the radiator level itself. I also recently took it out with a trailer a couple of times.

Quick Reply: 2007 3.8L losing coolant