Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2008 Rubicon front differential lock sensor

Old 02-15-2014, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Rubicon front differential lock sensor

On my 2008 somehow the front differential lock sensor harness got tangled in the front driveshaft and tore the wires from the sensor. Bought the new sensor but havent found info on how to replace it. Read about problems when regearing and its position, but just replacing the sensor, nothing.
Even the sensor head is a strange size. No wrench fits snuggly.

Does anybody has a write up to do it or could help me??

Thanks
Old 02-15-2014, 12:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

The differential has to be removed to take out the old sensor and reinstall the new one.

One or two people have been able to do it with the differential in place, but it wasn't easy, and you would run the risk of bending the new sensor.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

Thats no good!

Ahy other suggestion???
Old 02-16-2014, 03:17 PM
JK Freak

I had a shop put my gears in a pr44 and they put the sensor in after the carrier. This caused the sensor to push the lock ring, essentially locking the front end. I read a forum somewhere about grinding a few rows of thread off the end so you can insert it on am angle to hook the ring. I did this and several attempts later had no luck. I then used a wood match stick to hold the sensor open which allowed it to hook the ring. It has worked fine for two years now no issues.

Quick Reply: 2008 Rubicon front differential lock sensor