Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2008 Unlimited front license plate

Old 11-06-2007, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My CT dealer attached my front plate with what appear to be four sheet metal screws, but I didn't give it a second thought, since the front plate was attached when I picked up the Jeep. However, upon recollection, when I was behind the bumper running wires for my auxillary Hella lights, I don't recall seeing four nuts, so that's why I presume they are screws.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I attached my front plate to the plastic air dam below the bumper! I geuss this is my first mod for the forum. I thought it might make the front bumper less cluttered by placing it on the air dam, and I didn't have to put screws in the the plastic cover on the bumper. My rubicon sits a little higher than the other models but there should be no problem with seeing the plate. The air dam has a curve to it so you have to carefully mold (bend carefully) the plate to match the curve. The two bottom holes lined up with the grooves in the air dam so I cut two hard rubber spacers (any plastic would also work) and put behind the plate so it wouldn't bend. Drill four 1/4" holes (make sure the plate is straight when marking) and bolt together with 1/4"bolts with washers on both sides. I have added a couple pics so you can see how it looks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	licence1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	4122   Click image for larger version

Name:	license2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	4123  
Old 11-06-2007, 11:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wondering why on Gods Green Earth Anyone would put a plate on the front if not required by law?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:45 AM
JK Freak

Spoke & folks man. Sometimes they are different. I've seen alot of college plates & NFL team plates on the fronts of vehicles around here. I don't think North Carolina requires a front plate, but Va does. I figured the Carolina folks with vanity tags on front wer making the best of a front bumper already set up for plates.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Unfortunately a lot of places require a front plate by law! I got tired of being hassled about it and had to finally put one on the front. I figure the air dam is going to get damaged over time so I would rather put it on something I might replace easily.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:17 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was held on by two #14x3/4" sheetmetal screws. By the stealership. Even though i told them not to, they did it anyhow. I had the bumper tentatively sold before i picked up the Jeep to a guy who wanted to paint one so he didnt want screw holes in it. They put them in, he backed out . jerks.

I just replaced the bumper, so i dont care now. But still miffed that i could have sold the stocker over a year ago.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastboat
Well the center section where the plate should go is silver. Fancy.........? I'd prefer black like the rest of the bumper

if you don't want the silver pieces on your bumper, i'll take 'em. They come off with 8 screws...
Old 11-07-2007, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

I like Black Ruby's solution of all that I've seen. CT law requires a front plate, but they don't say where or how.

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/9707/dsc00082gk9.jpg
Old 11-08-2007, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm in Chicago and I wish I didn't have to put my front plate on.

I was stubborn cause I liked the way the JK looked without a front plate, but that all changed a few months ago when leaving my buddy's house late one night, roughly around 1am, then seeing a fat ticket stuck to my window. I was peeved cause it said the ticket was given 1:10 am and I got to my car at 1:15. If only i left a few minutes earlier I would of gotten away for a little while longer, Arrrghh!! Darn you laws!!

Old 11-08-2007, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

My dealer simply drilled two screws into the bumper between the fog lights to fasten the license plate. Looks fine. The holes did not bother me since I am looking to replace it with the AEV bumper sometime in the future.

Quick Reply: 2008 Unlimited front license plate