Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2008 Wrangler Wont Start - Radio went out first

Old 12-09-2017, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Wrangler Wont Start - Radio went out first

Yesterday morning I went out to start my Jeep. It started up no problem but the radio/CD player would not work. I drove to work with no issues except for the radio. Windows, lights, etc. worked just no radio. After work I came out and the Jeep wouldn't start. Wouldn't even try to turn over. Lights were bright so I don't think it is the battery. Also I noticed that my key fob wouldn't work to lock the doors. Looking for some ideas on trouble shooting before I hitch a ride to work to check it out. Already read a thread on pulling the white fuze box out, so I will be trying that out. Thanks for your help
Old 12-12-2017, 04:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have the battery load tested before you try anything else. Bad battery causes the JK electrical system to freak out.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasfoolery
Yesterday morning I went out to start my Jeep. It started up no problem but the radio/CD player would not work. I drove to work with no issues except for the radio. Windows, lights, etc. worked just no radio. After work I came out and the Jeep wouldn't start. Wouldn't even try to turn over. Lights were bright so I don't think it is the battery. Also I noticed that my key fob wouldn't work to lock the doors. Looking for some ideas on trouble shooting before I hitch a ride to work to check it out. Already read a thread on pulling the white fuze box out, so I will be trying that out. Thanks for your help
This sounds like the old Wireless Control Module issue. Static from the key blade spikes the metal ignition lock, sending the security system into lockdown. The fix is to replace the WCM and reprogram the keys. In some cases they'll replace the keys completely. It used to be done under warranty, FOC. Not sure if the Service Action is still active. In the interim open the fuse box lid, locate the big, white dual fuse holder J13. Lift up on it until it stops, wait 60 seconds and push it back down. Should start & run OK.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny because this happened to my Jeep last week. I had no blown fuses and i was at the point of looking to upgrade to a new stereo system but read online that it's happened to some before. one option was to hit the buttons on the radio really hard, I did this and the radio would try and boot up(boot screen would show up) then shut right down. My other option was to disconnect the battery for 15min(i have a dual battery setup so it was kind of a pain), i did this and it worked for now. Everything works now but i don't know for how long or why it happened...only time will tell

Quick Reply: 2008 Wrangler Wont Start - Radio went out first