Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2010 Wrangler - Starting Issues.. Not the Battery (VIDEO)

Old 05-16-2018, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2010 Wrangler - Starting Issues.. Not the Battery (VIDEO)

Hi All,

Hopefully someone here can help me..... So I just replaced the battery and my jeep is still having starting issues. It occurring only 50% of the time. The car will click once and then shrug like it has not battery and will not click again. I will leave the car for 30 mins and come back. The car will start up perfectly fine... its weird.

Could it be one of the following??
- Bad Alt.
-Neutral Safety Switch
- Fuel Pump?

I have attached a video of the reoccurring issue
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_8863.MOV (1.46 MB, 27 views)
Old 05-17-2018, 05:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

To check alternator indirectly, have a local auto shop check if the battery charge is good. If so, then alternator is doing its job.

You didn't fill out your profile very much, so leave us guessing what your Jeep has, but assuming since you ask about neutral safety switch that you have an auto transmission. That sure can cause the symptom you describe. Often you can wiggle the transmission lever around and get it to crank. If so, then you've found your problem.

Fuel pump is unlikely to create a problem that prevents the engine from cranking.

You might also have a bad starter motor, or bad electrical connections. Might give a good look over at the larger electrical connections to the battery and starter motor and TIPM. Disconnect them, clean them up with a bit of high grit sandpaper or a special battery post terminal cleaner. A short squirt of WD-40 on the terminals will stop future corrosion (but beware where overspray goes--it is a conductor of electricity, so can cause problems if it gets onto sensitive electrical circuits such as inside the TIPM).

Also might have a bad switch in the console, or wiring associated with it. Troubleshooting that can be a bit more involved, so I'd put it off until I knew more common ailments were actually good (especially those electrical connections and that starter motor).
Old 05-17-2018, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like click no start to me. When mine does that I bump the gearshift forward and then it will normally start. Only once did I move the gear shift to neutral to start it up.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by captainstabbin
That looks like click no start to me. When mine does that I bump the gearshift forward and then it will normally start. Only once did I move the gear shift to neutral to start it up.
The OP's video is the problem I was having.

My 2010 was doing the same thing and I replaced the little plastic bushing that is in the gear shift and have not had a problem since. The part is super cheap so I bought an extra just in case it ever happens again and it took about 15 minutes to install. For the life of me I can't recall the part name but it is under the center console where the shifter links up with the transmission linkage. Here's a video from YouTube, I was able to get my hands under the console without taking it all the way off.

Last edited by Friday2322; 05-17-2018 at 07:13 AM.

Quick Reply: 2010 Wrangler - Starting Issues.. Not the Battery (VIDEO)