Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 Check engine light and smells like fire.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Check engine light and smells like fire.

My first post on the forum and it has to be a negative one.

Today at 660 miles on a 2012 with a 6 spd, the check engine light came on and when I arrived at my destination about 5 miles later, it smelled like it was on fire. Kind of a combination of burnt clutch mixed with electrical fire.

Called dealer and they had me call the roadside assistance. Waiting on the tow truck. Probably nothing, but I don't want the thing to catch on fire on the way to the dealer.

Other than that, I love the Jeep so far. Also, great forum, I've been reading non-stop since I bought this thing.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best of luck and let us know what happens. I too have a 2012 with a 6 speed and would like a heads up on any problems I could come across.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:40 PM
JK Newbie

Will do. The service dept. is already closed for the night so hopefully I have an answer tomorrow. Just a bit upset that I have only had this thing for two weeks and already having problems. Hopefully something simple.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles on the new Jeep!

You were smart to stop and call it in.

Best of luck to you.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

Yeah, I'm interested in hearing what the issue is also. I have 2012 6 speed 2dr.

Hope all turns out well......

JB
Old 11-07-2011, 04:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a jeep thing.... You'll get used to it, wait....no you won't. Typical jeep. Good luck my friend.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

Tow truck guy agreed the smell was clutch. I've been driving sticks for over 20 years now and also have a 66 Chevelle 4 spd, I certainly don't feel like it has anything to do with my driving.

It did have about 320 miles on it when I bought it due to a dealer trade from out of state, so who knows what knucklehead drove it those first 320.

NH-JK: I hope it's not the Jeep thing that I hear so much about.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LongTab
Tow truck guy agreed the smell was clutch. I've been driving sticks for over 20 years now and also have a 66 Chevelle 4 spd, I certainly don't feel like it has anything to do with my driving.

It did have about 320 miles on it when I bought it due to a dealer trade from out of state, so who knows what knucklehead drove it those first 320.

NH-JK: I hope it's not the Jeep thing that I hear so much about.
Naw, don't worry about it being a "Jeep thing". My 2009 had zero problems during the 45k-ish miles I put on it and my 2011 has performed flawlessly during the 5k miles I've put on it.

Sometimes things happen. I'm sure whatever is going on with yours will turn out alright.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

Update. The service department just called and said it was the MAP sensor and it's dumping too much fuel. Have one ordered, no loaner car, bummer. I did notice over the last week that the fuel economy display was getting worse by 2 mpg. Said this is the first time they have seen this on a 2012.

No explanation for the burning smell, and it didn't smell rich, Weird.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LongTab
Update. The service department just called and said it was the MAP sensor and it's dumping too much fuel. Have one ordered, no loaner car, bummer. I did notice over the last week that the fuel economy display was getting worse by 2 mpg. Said this is the first time they have seen this on a 2012.

No explanation for the burning smell, and it didn't smell rich, Weird.
The burning smell may have been your cats working over time burning up all the extra fuel that was unburnt by the engine. Cats will heat up quite abit if your engine is running rich.

Quick Reply: 2012 Check engine light and smells like fire.