Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 Check engine light and smells like fire.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience, excess fuel will have a cooling effect on the cats...

GM trucks have a "cat over-temp" protection built into the ECM. It would add extra fuel on top of the ~12.6:1 ratio used when under load. It was known to hurt performance because it would run the motor overly rich. I turned the COT feature off when programming my old truck. Long story short... ended up getting a cat-inefficiency code on a long towing trip. Burned one of them out :(

If cats aren't operating in the proper range, they'll stink like rotten eggs... but that's pretty far from a burt smell. You really can't mistake clutch or brakes for that matter. I have to wonder if there is something else going on...
Old 11-08-2011, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LongTab
Other than that, I love the Jeep so far. Also, great forum, I've been reading non-stop since I bought this thing.
LMAO.....other than it smells like it's on fire..... I love the Jeep.....

Funny shit man....
Old 11-09-2011, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news. Just got back from picking it up. MPG was back up to 20.3 average in town. Worst I saw was 19.5 and best was 21.0, that's better than a best of 17.2 before the new sensor.

Best part was no smell when I got home. Gonna chalk this one up as just a fluke and hope it doesn't happen to anybody else. But if you notice your mileage drop then the light comes on within a couple of days, you know what it is.

Quick Reply: 2012 Check engine light and smells like fire.