Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 JKU Rubi Check Engine Light Misfire Cylinder 6

Old 03-01-2012, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same happened to my 3.8 2009. Dealer kept resetting everything to no avail. Found the problem, gas. I bought some "HEAT" water remover crap for 3 bucks and ran the tank dry. Code went away and never came back. Its been a year since that happened
Old 03-01-2012, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbullion
Spoke with the service advisor this afternoon and was told the driver's side cylinder head would have to be replaced. Now here is where it gets good...I was told that Maxwell Jeep in Austin doesn't have the tool required to change the head and had to order one from SnapOn. Was told that the SnapOn rep didn't make deliveries until tomorrow and that my jeep should be be ready sometime next week.

Came straight home and called Jeep Customer Care and explained the situation. They assigned me a case number and said that they had a hard time believing that Maxwell would not have a tool to change out the cylinder head when the same engine had been used in other Chrysler vehicles for a while now. They said they would call me within 24 hours with some firm idea of when my jeep would be repaired...I'll update this thread after I speak with Jeep Customer Care tomorrow.

Did the exact same thing today. We'll see if that 24 hours is firm or just something to put us off a little longer
Old 03-02-2012, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after getting a few codes, i got p0456 first cleared it, then i throw p0302 cylinder #2 misfire, and now when i cycle the key i just get dashes, the service advisor said when multiple misfire occur the dashes appear and most likely the heads will need to be replaced. he said a bunch of the pentastars have come in for head replacement but mine was the first wrangler. he stated at the rate pentastars are coming in that in 6 months a recall might come out. will have more info in a little while when i get the call back. very frustrating when this engine is supposed to save chrysler, i should've bought an import!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:37 PM
JK Newbie

I'm not a real regular poster here, but I have been a multiple times a day watcher/reader on the forum. Love this forum. So much good info. I'm actually surprised it's taken a while for this to come up here though.

I actually have one of the "ticking" motors and am in the process of dealing with Chrysler on it trying to find a resolution. The advisor at my dealership agrees with me that it is ticking and that there is an issue, but the Chrysler rep told me to drive another 5k miles because he thought it might be a "loud injector." This appears to be a pretty big problem in these motors as more and more people are starting to come out of the shadows with CEL's on. Can any of the techs that are on the forum add some info regarding a bulletin that may or may not be circulating from Chrysler recently?

Edit: Sorry didn't know I couldn't post links from another forum. Google "ticking pentastar" and it should come up pretty quickly.

Last edited by wayoflife; 09-29-2012 at 06:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tlkenyon (10-29-2023)
Old 03-02-2012, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

so just got the call from my service advisor and he confirmed that the cylinder head needed to be replaced, fortunately he said they have the part in stock and i should get the jeep back on tuesday.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has become a very common problem on the Pentastar. Good news is, once it's fixed, it's fixed. The problem is that the volume at which the engines are being made(over a million already), quality has suffered. We have even had an Enterprise Wrangler come in without head gaskets at all. Most of the time the problem lies with the valves and valve seats. I haven't seen any problems with mine so far(knock on wood) but it has only been 3500 miles. Best of luck to you on getting your toy back.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Spoke with the service advisor this afternoon and was told the driver's side cylinder head would have to be replaced. Now here is where it gets good...I was told that Maxwell Jeep in Austin doesn't have the tool required to change the head and had to order one from SnapOn. Was told that the SnapOn rep didn't make deliveries until tomorrow and that my jeep should be be ready sometime next week.

Came straight home and called Jeep Customer Care and explained the situation. They assigned me a case number and said that they had a hard time believing that Maxwell would not have a tool to change out the cylinder head when the same engine had been used in other Chrysler vehicles for a while now. They said they would call me within 24 hours with some firm idea of when my jeep would be repaired...I'll update this thread after I speak with Jeep Customer Care tomorrow.
Recieved a call from Chrysler Customer Care this afternoon around 1 pm. The rep said that she had talked with Maxwell Jeep Austin and that she was told that they are waiting on a cylinder head and gasket. I asked her if they told her that the dealership didn't own the tool necessary to change the head like they told me and she said they didn't but said she would look into that. She told me that she was waiting for a call from Maxwell and would email me in 30 minutes telling me when the head would be installed. It is now 5+ hours later and I haven't recieved the email. I did recieve a call from Maxwell's service rep saying he would call me Monday morning to let me know when the head and gasket would arrive and be installed.

My Jeep was first taken to Maxwell Monday and then back again Tuesday. It is now Friday and I still have no idea when it will be ready...I'll update Monday morning if I am called as promised.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Recieved a call from Chrysler Customer Care this afternoon around 1 pm. The rep said that she had talked with Maxwell Jeep Austin and that she was told that they are waiting on a cylinder head and gasket. I asked her if they told her that the dealership didn't own the tool necessary to change the head like they told me and she said they didn't but said she would look into that. She told me that she was waiting for a call from Maxwell and would email me in 30 minutes telling me when the head would be installed. It is now 5+ hours later and I haven't recieved the email. I did recieve a call from Maxwell's service rep saying he would call me Monday morning to let me know when the head and gasket would arrive and be installed.

My Jeep was first taken to Maxwell Monday and then back again Tuesday. It is now Friday and I still have no idea when it will be ready...I'll update Monday morning if I am called as promised.
Construido en México buena suerte

Old 03-02-2012, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Topshelf
I'm not a real regular poster here, but I have been a multiple times a day watcher/reader on the forum. Love this forum. So much good info. I'm actually surprised it's taken a while for this to come up here though.

I actually have one of the "ticking" motors and am in the process of dealing with Chrysler on it trying to find a resolution. The advisor at my dealership agrees with me that it is ticking and that there is an issue, but the Chrysler rep told me to drive another 5k miles because he thought it might be a "loud injector." This appears to be a pretty big problem in these motors as more and more people are starting to come out of the shadows with CEL's on. Can any of the techs that are on the forum add some info regarding a bulletin that may or may not be circulating from Chrysler recently?

Edit: Sorry didn't know I couldn't post links from another forum. Google "ticking pentastar" and it should come up pretty quickly.
I got a little tic in mine when its cold. You think I got anything to be concerned about?

Last edited by wayoflife; 09-29-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

i'd wait until you get a check engine light

Quick Reply: 2012 JKU Rubi Check Engine Light Misfire Cylinder 6