Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 JKUR Overheating Issue

Old 09-26-2022, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE:
Got some more work done on it this weekend. The combustion leak test appeared to be negative, although I wasn't able to get the motor fully heated before the radiator started boiling all of the coolant out. Tried it again AFTER it boiled all the coolant out and still appeared to be negative. So I swapped the damn water pump, no improvement. The old WP looked fine. Burped, vacuum bled, and opened the thermostat bleeder valve repeatedly, still no better. Don't see how it could be the radiator since it holds pressure and vacuum well, has excellent flow rate when flushing, and looks clean enough to drink out of (I'm about to drink the orange Kool-Aid dealing with this nightmare!!! )

I guess I am going to try swapping the Autozone thermostat with a MOPAR unit. Maybe also see if I can get a more definitive combustion leak test without boiling over. Otherwise I am at my wits end here and about to take it to a Jeep shop to see if they can help figure it out.

I do have an exhaust leak and have recently read about bizarre situations where this can cause overheating. Is anyone familiar with this?
Old 09-26-2022, 09:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

you should be doing that combustion test via the reservoir, not the radiator.
The following users liked this post:
Digitek14 (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Resharp001,

Got it. I thought that may be better since it would allow me to get the motor heated up, but the kit specified with the radiator cap off oddly. I also wasn't sure if that would just be fresh air in the reservoir since it's exposed to the atmosphere from the overflow tube. I'll try another combustion leak test from the reservoir and swapping the thermostat to MOPAR here in the next day or so.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Do you check or change the radiator cap??
Old 09-26-2022, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Adakar
Do you check or change the radiator cap??
Yep, already swapped it.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Combustion leak test was negative again. Pulled air through the reservoir while I had a friend hold his foot on the throttle to get the motor overheated after driving home. Pulled about 50 bulbs of air through the test tube. See pics below. Guess we'll see if the Mopar thermostat does the trick.

Old 10-21-2022, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Default Update

Originally Posted by RwH
I was gonna recommend the same as i just kinda went through the same issue after another forum member mentioned that Autozone and Oreillys thermostats are prone to failing, or not functioning correctly out of the box. In my case, the autozone brand wouldnt open fast enough to control the temps and i would see the same temps the OP is seeing. Temp would creep all the way up to 245 degrees before it fully opened and allowed flow. I went with a MOPAR brand, did three or four bleed cycles and now i dont see over 226 in the worst conditions but around town, in 100 degree ambient, it will hover around 212 degrees, which i am fine with. Thats with a big ol winch blocking airflow as well.
UPDATE: Swapped the AutoZone thermostat with a MOPAR unit. The one from AutoZone was pretty clearly inferior, didn't even look quite the same. At first (like you described) it would still overheat, but this has gotten progressively better over a few bleed cycles. It is mostly fixed but still does overheat a bit more than before when climbing hills on the highway.

Any other ideas? At least it is drive-able now!! Thanks for the help/input from all of you!
Old 10-24-2022, 06:54 AM
RwH
JK Newbie

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Digitek14
UPDATE: Swapped the AutoZone thermostat with a MOPAR unit. The one from AutoZone was pretty clearly inferior, didn't even look quite the same. At first (like you described) it would still overheat, but this has gotten progressively better over a few bleed cycles. It is mostly fixed but still does overheat a bit more than before when climbing hills on the highway.

Any other ideas? At least it is drive-able now!! Thanks for the help/input from all of you!
Can't recall, but do you have anything blocking the radiator? winch? aftermarket grill? bumper? etc. My first thought now, if you have the system burped correctly and the thermostat is opening all the way, is that it's an airflow issue. Even those cool little grill inserts will make a huge difference on the highway. Remember that these jeeps are designed to run at a higher temperature already, so anything added to the front will reduce its ability to do so drastically. Larger tires, lower gears will add to the struggle as well.
Old 10-24-2022, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RwH
Can't recall, but do you have anything blocking the radiator? winch? aftermarket grill? bumper? etc. My first thought now, if you have the system burped correctly and the thermostat is opening all the way, is that it's an airflow issue. Even those cool little grill inserts will make a huge difference on the highway. Remember that these jeeps are designed to run at a higher temperature already, so anything added to the front will reduce its ability to do so drastically. Larger tires, lower gears will add to the struggle as well.
I do have one of the mesh grill inserts (but it has fairly good airflow) and a winch/bumper but they never seemed to cause trouble before. Maybe I'll experiment with pulling the grille and seeing what happens. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: 2012 JKUR Overheating Issue