Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 not needing leveled

Old 05-03-2012, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 not needing leveled

Has anyone else noticed their 2012 not needing a leveling kit to sit level? Everywhere on here guys are leveling their JK's but every time I look at mine I see no reason to, it seems to set level to me. Just wondered if I was the only one?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3451211832.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	312348  
Old 05-03-2012, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's funny, cause my JKU is raked to hell and back!!! Leveling kit in the mail!
Old 05-03-2012, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A leveling kit isn't about getting the JK to look level, it is for more clearance in the fenders to prevent rubbing with bigger tires.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by aekdbrich
That's funny, cause my JKU is raked to hell and back!!! Leveling kit in the mail!
x2, may be more noticeable in an unlimited vs a 2dr. The front of my JKU-R is 1" lower in the front than the rear. To the OP have you actually measured the front & rear?
Old 05-03-2012, 05:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by keithvegas
A leveling kit isn't about getting the JK to look level, it is for more clearance in the fenders to prevent rubbing with bigger tires.
Originally Posted by TeraFlex
This leveling kit includes a 2" front spring, and a 1" rear spring with longer front swaybar links. this kit is perfect for leveling your JK, an adding just a touch of lift to compensate for aftermarket bumpers or full size spare. the performance enhancements of the coil springs will allow for increased off road handling and articulation. Fits 4door JK Wrangler Unlimited including Rubicon.
.... this is the description of the leveling kit. It's designed to remove the rake while adding a little bit of lift to compensate for heavy aftermarket bumpers & a full size spare tire..No mention of adding bigger tires, but others have added 33s and 35s on this kit with mods like adding flat fenders or and/or cutting the pinch seam to prevent rubbing on 35s...
Old 05-03-2012, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Measure from the bottom of you rocker panels and you will see that it isn't level. Probably an inch lower in the front I bet, that's why leveling kits are 2 inch in the front and 1 inch in the rear.

Last edited by Jeep(NV); 05-03-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

My 2012 doesn't appear to have a significant rake either. I have looked at other jeeps and can notice right away that they are raked. You really have to look hard and critical at mine to see that the front may be just slightly lower that the rear.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The probable reason for the rake is to cut wind resistance on the highway. I haven't seen anyone do a scientific fuel mileage comparison but you may lose a little mph.

It is only an inch over the length of the wheel base so no it isn't that noticeable but shove a 33" in the front and that inch will make a difference in how much you rub.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:47 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by keithvegas
The probable reason for the rake is to cut wind resistance on the highway. I haven't seen anyone do a scientific fuel mileage comparison but you may lose a little mph.

It is only an inch over the length of the wheel base so no it isn't that noticeable but shove a 33" in the front and that inch will make a difference in how much you rub.
This is where I start to get lost, I have a 2012 2 door sport S

The stock tires are 255/75/17 and the tire size calculators tell me that is 32.1 inches

So if I went to 33 inches I'd start having rubbing?

I do notice a slight rake but it doesn't bother me, I guess it's because I also love I two sweater sports cars and all of those have a rake

Matthew
Old 05-03-2012, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

i didnt realize you guys were putting on the teraflex 2+1 kit, i just thought you guys were putting in the .75 spacers. Im used to driving trucks and we always did just the front because it always looked better not really any other reason. i have measured and there is about a .75 diff but its almost not noticeable. when i put the winch on maybe then i will see the need for it but i have flexed it offroad and didnt notice any rubbing and im running 35's. i think if i put one in now the front will be oddly higher. maybe i will put the terflex kit on if i do, trying to keep as low as possible though for now just to see what it can do. thanks for the input guys

Quick Reply: 2012 not needing leveled