Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2013 JK flat towing

Old 04-19-2013, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 JK flat towing

Is anybody flat towing there JK using the stock bumper ? where did you attach the mounts for the tow bar ? can the bash bar under the stock bumper be used >
Old 04-19-2013, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi
Just go to one of the accessory companies and look at the insructions to mount a hitch on one of the towing hitches they sell. Easy to install on the stock bumper.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am using the Currie tow plate, replaces the plastic splash guard under the bumper, plenty stout and a good buy.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Blue Ox - BX1126
Demco - 9518292

With Blue Ox you can reuse the plastic steering cover with a little trimming, Demco you toss it away. Don't bother with Road Master base plates there garbage. The only other main difference between Blue Ox and Demco is Blue Ox the mounting tabs where the tow bar connects to are removable where Demco is fixed mount.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

Another vote for the Currie baseplate. Doubles as a skid plate for the front as well. Plenty of clearance for off roading vs. other manuf. baseplates that have tabs which can dig in. Plus...it's cheap but not cheaply made!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Default towing

Thanks for all the good ideals.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

X3 on the Curry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1000211762.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	449876  
Old 04-30-2013, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

Does the Currie tow base plate actually fit the 2013's?

I have that Currie tow plate that I originally purchased for my 2010 JK 2dr. I now have a 2013 JKUR with stock bumper & front lower plastic removed that I want to set up for flat towing behind our RV. Tried fitting the Currie tow base plate this past weekend, it doesn't seem to fit for me. The stock steel bumper liner has a section welded to the front lower area which seems to interfere with the Currie base plate. Can't recall if my 2010 had this steel section welded on the stock bumper or not. Instructions don't say you have to modify anything on the bumper (but they are written for previous years of vehicles).

Anyone actuall install one on a 2013? Photos?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RubiCamp
Does the Currie tow base plate actually fit the 2013's?

I have that Currie tow plate that I originally purchased for my 2010 JK 2dr. I now have a 2013 JKUR with stock bumper & front lower plastic removed that I want to set up for flat towing behind our RV. Tried fitting the Currie tow base plate this past weekend, it doesn't seem to fit for me. The stock steel bumper liner has a section welded to the front lower area which seems to interfere with the Currie base plate. Can't recall if my 2010 had this steel section welded on the stock bumper or not. Instructions don't say you have to modify anything on the bumper (but they are written for previous years of vehicles).

Anyone actuall install one on a 2013? Photos?
I installed mine last weekend, I had to do some grinding to fit, It was where the round bar was welding on to the stock metal bumper.I grained off about a 1/4 notch where the skid plate hits that bar. after that there was only one mounting hole that I could not drill out. I'll try to get somepics. tonight, don't know how to post, but i can email them to you.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

2013 jku, flat tow using a readybrute elite tow bar, mopar wire harness and nvs breakaway cable..

I was gonna go with a bracket that I made from a "T" plate from home depot. After much thought, I opted for through the bumper method.... One less thing to worry about when off roading and the skid plate is clean, no light mounts, no teflon ready brake mounts exposed... It is a skid plate you know.

I went with the mopar cable... and I see the reasoning why Jeep went this route. The harness runs on the top and then down the sides of the front radiator grill. No seven pin plug to mount. Just reach in the grill grab the harness and plug your 7 pin cable. Cool!

Here are some pics...

I will prob create a metal bracket to hang the breakaway cable behind this bumper, that bolt should be perfect for the bracket.

closed up...

I love the clean look... you would never know its a toad once that readybrake loop is tucked underneath the licence plate and the breakaway cable stored behind the bumper.

Quick Reply: 2013 JK flat towing