Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2013 Wrangler-New camshafts, Rockers, Lifters/lash adjusters

Old 03-28-2019, 05:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2013 Wrangler-New camshafts, Rockers, Lifters/lash adjusters

Hello,

Curious as to who all has had to replace rockers,lash adjusters and camshafts on their Pentastar engine? I had a bad ticking noise from the passenger side head at 82,000 miles, so I had the dealer open her up and found a few loose rockers and slightly damaged camshafts. Total cost to replace was around $1350.00 The dealer did a great job

I reached out to FCA for a possible goodwill reimbursement, they told me to pound sand. I bought this vehicle new with 8 miles and she's been great other than this issue, but it still bothers me to have this type of repair on an engine with just 82,000 miles.

(Also posted on JL forum by mistake)
The following users liked this post:
skimywhistler (03-23-2022)
Old 03-28-2019, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You will have this issue about every 60k or so, the rocker arms are garbage. Only thing you can do is run factory oil filter and a high quality full syn oil and not mobile 1 either. Other then that do what i do, learn how to fix them yourself, all rocker arms take about 3 hours to do and you do not need to remove cams either, i also have emailed aftermarket cam companies like lunati and comp and asked them to provide a high quality rocker arm for these engines, have not heard back from them, but if enough people email them maybe they will make some, until then its a problem we live with.
The following 2 users liked this post by AZJKU2017:
jkubeach (03-28-2019), skimywhistler (03-23-2022)
Old 03-28-2019, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cam Followers are the problem

My 2012 has 123,000 mi. On it. It had some ticking so I took it in.

The dealership replaced all 24 cam followers. They have a needle bearing in them that doesn’t last.

I used Mobil 1 and Pure One filters.
The following 2 users liked this post by crosstowne:
jkubeach (03-28-2019), skimywhistler (03-23-2022)
Old 03-30-2019, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by crosstowne
My 2012 has 123,000 mi. On it. It had some ticking so I took it in.

The dealership replaced all 24 cam followers. They have a needle bearing in them that doesn’t last.

I used Mobil 1 and Pure One filters.

'12 with 60K and quiet, so far. FCA uses junk parts in this engine.
Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended performance oil and filter, since first oil change.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jdinny
'12 with 60K and quiet, so far. FCA uses junk parts in this engine.
Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended performance oil and filter, since first oil change.

Mine was quiet up until around 80,000 miles. Synthetic oil from day one with Mopar OEM filters and 6000 mile intervals. I think the bottom line here is, it will happen to most of these engines sooner or later. Some people let it go and keep driving, others repair it. Going to be a lot of folks out there with ticking engines as time goes on, not a good look for FCA
Old 03-31-2019, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jkubeach
Mine was quiet up until around 80,000 miles. Synthetic oil from day one with Mopar OEM filters and 6000 mile intervals. I think the bottom line here is, it will happen to most of these engines sooner or later. Some people let it go and keep driving, others repair it. Going to be a lot of folks out there with ticking engines as time goes on, not a good look for FCA
Yes, it's a shame they used such junk parts in these engines.
Mine has that extended warranty on this problem, but I just absolutely despise the idea of letting the dealers star wrench turners inside my engine.
I will/might do it myself when it starts. I hate to have to pay, but I'm just afraid they'll screw something else up.
We used to drag race, and dirt track race back in the day, and I did all the engines, so I am very comfortable in there myself, but I do hate to pay myself.
I'd love to put a little Cummins diesel in it, but with all these laws, it would never be street legal ;(
Old 04-03-2019, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jdinny
Yes, it's a shame they used such junk parts in these engines.
Mine has that extended warranty on this problem, but I just absolutely despise the idea of letting the dealers star wrench turners inside my engine.
I will/might do it myself when it starts. I hate to have to pay, but I'm just afraid they'll screw something else up.
We used to drag race, and dirt track race back in the day, and I did all the engines, so I am very comfortable in there myself, but I do hate to pay myself.
I'd love to put a little Cummins diesel in it, but with all these laws, it would never be street legal ;(
It's funny you say that. I actually took a photo of my engine compartment before I took it in. When I brought the jeep home I compared the photo I took to the engine compartment and had to re route a few engine harness's that were rubbing on high temp area's. I also noticed the harness shielding was broken and missing in places (very brittle ) So I bought new stuff and went to work making sure nothing was going to chafe or melt. Everything else was perfect, no leaks all good. I would still would want the same tech if I ever have to do the other side (drivers) Seems like it's a good idea poke around after any major engine surgery
Old 04-16-2019, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2013 JKU has 81 K and just started the ticking, getting louder. Calling the dealer for appointment, but I am pretty sure it is the rocker arm issue.

What can we do about this?

I change oil religiously and use full synthetic and good filters, usually around 5K, never have waited until "oil life" told me to change it. Daily driver, 50 miles each way to work, mostly highway. Has not been abused off road, when it does get dirty. Hardly ever pull anything, and only atv or small aluminum boat then. Love my Jeep, but concern is that metal is in the motor, and even if we replace all the rockers, will fail again, since they have not corrected them???

If you search the internet, there is a LOT of people having issues with this. This motor is/was used in multiple vehicles and all having issues - mini vans, challengers, etc. What does it take to get a recall or help from Chrysler-Jeep?

Is there any Jeep - Chrysler rep's monitoring this board?

Thanks
Ken
Old 04-17-2019, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2014 that had the drivers side cams, arms and lash adjusters replaced aroud 95k under the Lifetime warranty. Had them do the heater core at the same time since it was blowing cold. 165k now without any issues. 7.5k between OC with 5-20 full synth.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by -=Str3tch=-
2014 that had the drivers side cams, arms and lash adjusters replaced aroud 95k under the Lifetime warranty. Had them do the heater core at the same time since it was blowing cold. 165k now without any issues. 7.5k between OC with 5-20 full synth.
Good to know after replacement the issue appears to be resolved for you. I did read somewhere the new Rockers are an updated version.

Quick Reply: 2013 Wrangler-New camshafts, Rockers, Lifters/lash adjusters