Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2013 Wrangler-New camshafts, Rockers, Lifters/lash adjusters

Old 04-17-2019, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kegracing
My 2013 JKU has 81 K and just started the ticking, getting louder. Calling the dealer for appointment, but I am pretty sure it is the rocker arm issue.

What can we do about this?

I change oil religiously and use full synthetic and good filters, usually around 5K, never have waited until "oil life" told me to change it. Daily driver, 50 miles each way to work, mostly highway. Has not been abused off road, when it does get dirty. Hardly ever pull anything, and only atv or small aluminum boat then. Love my Jeep, but concern is that metal is in the motor, and even if we replace all the rockers, will fail again, since they have not corrected them???

If you search the internet, there is a LOT of people having issues with this. This motor is/was used in multiple vehicles and all having issues - mini vans, challengers, etc. What does it take to get a recall or help from Chrysler-Jeep?

Is there any Jeep - Chrysler rep's monitoring this board?

Thanks
Ken
Seems that many people replace the rockers and carry on for lots of miles. Hopefully your Cams are good and you can avoid paying $300. for new ones. If I didn't like my Wrangler so much, it would turn into a 4 Runner.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am having that same issue. Mine didnt start until 104,000 miles though. Used full synthetic Mobil 1 oil changed every 8000 miles IAW the manual. How tough of a job is this? I am trying to decide whether to do it myself to save a ton of money or not. From what I have read just the rockers need to be replaced.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by harley97
i am having that same issue. Mine didnt start until 104,000 miles though. Used full synthetic mobil 1 oil changed every 8000 miles iaw the manual. How tough of a job is this? I am trying to decide whether to do it myself to save a ton of money or not. From what i have read just the rockers need to be replaced.
remove plenum, cam sensors, pcv valve, coils, valve covers. Then get a t30 torque bit, move cams to where there not on the lobes on the front 2 cylinders. Remove cam caps (one cam at a time), carefully pry cam up just enough to remove rockers, replace rockers and then reinstall caps, perform this with each cam. Reassemble and do it again in 60k.. Oh and by the way, mobile1 sucks, dont use it, use pennzoil ultra platinum. I can do this job in about 2 hours, take your time and a novice could do it in 4-5 hrs first time. You need a 10mm wrench, 8 mm socket, 13mm wrench, t30 bit, big wrench or socket to turn cams or turn it by crank bolts (only with cam caps tight !!!!)... Not a big deal, after the first time you will cut the repair time in half.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I recently had a misfire on cylinders 2,4, & 6. I have a 2013 Jeep Wrnagler Jk.

Originally Posted by jkubeach
Hello,

Curious as to who all has had to replace rockers,lash adjusters and camshafts on their Pentastar engine? I had a bad ticking noise from the passenger side head at 82,000 miles, so I had the dealer open her up and found a few loose rockers and slightly damaged camshafts. Total cost to replace was around $1350.00 The dealer did a great job

I reached out to FCA for a possible goodwill reimbursement, they told me to pound sand. I bought this vehicle new with 8 miles and she's been great other than this issue, but it still bothers me to have this type of repair on an engine with just 82,000 miles.

(Also posted on JL forum by mistake)
I recently had a misfire on cylinders 2,4, & 6. I have a 2013 Jeep Wrnagler Jk. Dealership had the Jeep for a month. Replaced rocker arms lash adjusters etc… my Jeep is at 69k
Old 08-16-2021, 06:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

My 2014 had an exhaust valve spring break at 55,000 miles. As part of the repair they replaced the cams and phasers. Was not the dealer. Cost around $2000

Quick Reply: 2013 Wrangler-New camshafts, Rockers, Lifters/lash adjusters