Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2015 JK Unlimited Soft Top on a 2008 JK Unlimited.....

Old 01-10-2015, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 JK Unlimited Soft Top on a 2008 JK Unlimited.....

I took the top down on my 2008 this weekend to install the Sirius antenna and noticed it's different than the 2013 I traded. I knew the back window was different on the earlier 4 door JK's but I didn't know the top had those tabs that have to be folded under the door surrounds. I liked the Sunrider top on my 2013 with the cable and was wondering if I bought a top off Craigslist would it install easily? I can buy a never used 2013-2015 top with hardware, surrounds, and everything but don't know if it's as easy as taking one off and installing the other. Has anyone done the switch? Thanks! CC
Old 01-11-2015, 03:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From what I've read it should fit. Make sure you get ALL the hardware including the roll bar brackets and bolts. The only thing that will be an issue is the footman loop in the center of the windshield moved in 2009. The windshield header on the later soft top will make slight contact with the loop (approx. 2") on your 2008 allowing wind noise or perhaps water penetration. There are two ways to fix this, either remove the loop when running the soft top or mark the header around the loop with a sharpie and remove the material where it contacts with a dremel.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

That's what I was hoping to know. So the total should be the top and frame, brackets which mount the frame to the roll bar (included with frame), the four door surround pieces, the rear door bar the back window slides in to, and the six mounting bolts with the plastic tops.....plus the three windows. I'll remove the footman loop.....now that I know what it's called. Thanks! CC
Old 01-13-2015, 01:40 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ccrunk1
That's what I was hoping to know. So the total should be the top and frame, brackets which mount the frame to the roll bar (included with frame), the four door surround pieces, the rear door bar the back window slides in to, and the six mounting bolts with the plastic tops.....plus the three windows. I'll remove the footman loop.....now that I know what it's called. Thanks! CC
The roll bar brackets may or may not be attached to the frame rails. Some people remove the top by disconnecting the rails from the bracket, rather than the bracket from the roll bar. And I'm not sure if this is what you were referring to but the tailgate bar also has two plastic brackets that snap on the tub to hold it in place. Make sure you get those too. The footman loop is used to keep the hard top in place so if you don't have a hard top then you really don't need it. Youtube has several videos on installing soft tops where you can see all the hardware that is involved. And if the person you buy it from will allow you to install it when you pick it up, then you will be sure to get everything you need.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:19 PM
JK Newbie

Finally found a top and installed it today. I had to drive 3 hours away but it's a 2015 takeoff and only had 45 miles on the odometer. I was headed to Fayetteville anyway to pickup a set of Rubicon rims. I think one hell of a buy for complete new top at $350. The switch was easy and the footman's loop didn't get in the way. Now I know what you were talking about concerning the brackets....I had to go back and remove them from the rollbar since I didn't get them at first. I really love the fitment with my half doors and it's a much more quiet top. If anyone is looking for a top to replace their earlier 2007-2010 JKU top, the newer cable style is the only way to go!!! Thanks! CC
Old 03-29-2015, 01:55 AM
JK Junkie

That's a great deal! Glad you're all hooked up.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Roll bar brackets

Just for info,
if you are missing the roll bar bow brackets, you can order them thru Bestop they are cheaper than other places including those hard to find pesky M6 x 1.25 screws.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sierra141
Just for info, if you are missing the roll bar bow brackets, you can order them thru Bestop they are cheaper than other places including those hard to find pesky M6 x 1.25 screws.
Should you not be able to find the screws. Lowes has them for .92. I've got a 2014 top on my 2008 with no problems.

Quick Reply: 2015 JK Unlimited Soft Top on a 2008 JK Unlimited.....