Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2015 Rubicon coolant vanishing...why?

Old 06-06-2016, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2015 Rubicon coolant vanishing...why?

I have a 2015 Rubicon I've owned since Feb. 2015. So far the coolant reservoir has been topped up four times. The vehicle has been in the dealer shop three times. As a result of those visits, the radiator cap was replaced once (didn't help, I'm still losing coolant) because it failed a pressure test. The entire system has twice been pressure tested with no leakage noted.

Until now it has been a mystery where the coolant is going, as there have been no visible leaks. I do occasionally, while driving, notice a sweet smell that I'm told is due to this OAT coolant. And one time while it was at the dealer to get the reservoir topped up, I was standing there when the service personnel acknowledged they could smell it.

However, I just did an oil change myself, and noticed some pink and/or white deposits on the bottom of various surfaces. See photos below. These pics were taken looking up while I was lying on the garage floor. Are these deposits likely from the OAT coolant?

If so, what is the likely culprit, given that the cooling system (supposedly) passes its pressure tests?

Assuming that is coolant residue, I can't understand why they didn't do a thorough visual inspection and find this themselves...

Click image for larger version

Name:	P6060173a.jpg
Views:	1347
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	648996Click image for larger version

Name:	P6060172a.jpg
Views:	1248
Size:	346.6 KB
ID:	648997Click image for larger version

Name:	P6060175a.jpg
Views:	1175
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	648998Click image for larger version

Name:	P6060174.JPG
Views:	1131
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	648999
Old 06-06-2016, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely looks like OAT coolant. OAT coolant is purple in color so the marks look like you are leaking coolant. Look along the fron of the engine down and see if you can see more or the source.

ed
Old 06-06-2016, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Those look like spill droplets when they were topping it up though, and not leakage.
In my 2015 Sahara the coolant would disappear mysteriously as well but no marks like the ones on your pictures, no sweet smell either. The dealer had no answer. Mine wasn't as bad as yours though and I don't have that Jeep anymore, otherwise I would have persuaded the dealer to do a lab oil test......and that is what they should do in your case too.

Now my 16 JKUR it's been fine, the level hasn't moved since new (4months)

PS

This coolant disappearing issue is not an unheard thing with the 3.6
Old 06-06-2016, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by gohard
Those look like spill droplets when they were topping it up though, and not leakage.
Except that this is all on the other side of the engine from the coolant reservoir, so I don't think that's the source!

Makes me wonder, where is the water pump on this thing?

This coolant disappearing issue is not an unheard thing with the 3.6
If so I'm surprised the dealer hasn't tried saying that to get me out of their hair! The last time, they had the Jeep for nearly two weeks and were communicating with techs or engineers or whatever at FCA. But ultimately never actually changed or fixed anything on the vehicle.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem. Have found no spots or leaks
Old 06-07-2016, 05:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 702Rubi
Except that this is all on the other side of the engine from the coolant reservoir, so I don't think that's the source!

Makes me wonder, where is the water pump on this thing?

If so I'm surprised the dealer hasn't tried saying that to get me out of their hair! The last time, they had the Jeep for nearly two weeks and were communicating with techs or engineers or whatever at FCA. But ultimately never actually changed or fixed anything on the vehicle.
Water pump is right in front. Just follow the radiator hose.
Mine went on my 2014 in less than 7,000 miles.
No leak, just squeaking.
Sweet smell inside could also be a leak in your heater core. (PITA) to replace.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

You could try a fluorescent dye and see if those marks are infact coolant. Find the water pump and check the "weep" hole. If you can't find a leak it must be burning it. So maybe a head or intake gasket. Have an independent shop check the coolant for emissions in the coolant. This is a reliable and cheap way to verify the head gasket.

How much are you losing anyway?
Old 06-07-2016, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by themoneyshot
How much are you losing anyway?
Since I got it back from the dealer, I've driven about 1400 miles (most of that highway driving on two different road trips). The level in the reservoir has dropped about one inch. It seems to be dropping faster now than it was when I originally noticed the problem.

IMHO a vehicle with 18K miles on it should not be losing/using any at all. The cooling system isn't supposed to need service for 100K miles, correct?

Originally Posted by FDHog
Sweet smell inside could also be a leak in your heater core. (PITA) to replace.
I only smell it occasionally, and then its not very strong. If it were leaking inside the vehicle wouldn't I smell it all the time? As noted in my OP, we have smelled it when the hood up, suggesting it is something happening in the engine compartment.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default my 2012 lost it

when i got it too. but on occasion i smell it , then goes away dealer said it evaperates a bit from the temps in a aluminum engine, never heard of that but
it seemed to resolve itself . on occasion i get a wiff but thats about it.
my thought was heater core but i live with a once in a while smell of it. dosent drop in level like at first , infact it stays the same . Not sure why but mines out of warranty anyway now and its just a chrysler problem in these jeeps it seems .
like every thing they just wont fix it under warranty . the only way to get itdone and done right is to handle it yourself, unless you want to argue with them forever about all the defects in the jks . The quality control is like no other . however they are iconic and they are cool vehicles if you get the buggs out . Its all the hassles along the way that make makes people say to you . if you buy another chrsler product your crazy / but once you own it you dont want to throw in the towel after you wanted it so badly . Youl get to the bottom eventually wben it shows its ugly head

I bet jeep has stock in rustoleum semi gloss rattle cans too ?????

Last edited by jeepmojo; 06-07-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Can't say I desperately wanted the Jeep, in fact some people I know recommended against buying one. But I had to replace my Xterra. And there are not a lot of choices anymore if you want a new, SUV-style, body-on-frame 4WD vehicle that isn't large or huge.

I can't imagine getting another FCA vehicle once I'm done with this one. Aside from questions about the quality of the vehicle (and this is not the only problem I've had with it), the service after sale has ranged from mediocre to abysmal. Two week wait for a service appointment?

Thankfully, I bought the "Maximum Care" extended warranty out to 85K/7 years. At the rate things are going with this thing, there is zero chance I will keep the vehicle past that. And until then, I'm not interested in paying for repairs to warranty issues.

FYI, I bought this in late Feb. 2015 and since then it has spent 38 days in one or another dealer shop...

Quick Reply: 2015 Rubicon coolant vanishing...why?