Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2016 JKU 4.10's Install Question

Old 08-07-2016, 06:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 915JKU
But the MPGs are calculated by hand, I learned to not trust the built in one once you get new tires unless you use a tuner.
The speedo and odo get their information from the same place, don't they? The computer thinks your tires are 4 inches shorter, so the speedo is reading low, and the odometer is reading less miles traveled on each gallon of gas. Which means the mpg's - regardless of whether you hand calculate or use the dash gauge - are also incorrect. (I would guess that you might be getting 3-4 mpg more than you calculated??)

My point with the programmer wasn't that you have to run out and get one, just that I don't think your current mpg's dropped quite as much as you indicated. And if your decision of whether or not to regear is being based solely off of that incorrect mpg, you would probably be better off finding the actual number before deciding.

You have an open carrier in the d30. There is no front limited slip option from the factory. It is possible that you have a limited slip in the rear d44 though, check your build sheet.

New open carriers are cheap. Haven't seen anything posted indicating that any brand is better or worse than any other. Or, as noted, if you are thinking about adding a traction device, you can use any of the full case options instead of buying another open carrier. The truetrac was mentioned simply because it is the least expensive full-case option. (Also might be worth noting that it is a gear-based limited slip, and a much better unit than the clutch-based limited slip offered by the factory. But still, it is not a full locker, if that weighs into your choice.)

Most of the 'JK' gears seem to still be coming out of the same place in asia, with different company names and logo's stamped on the boxes. Base that decision off of price and warranty, or go with whatever the install shop suggests.

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-07-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are planning to stick with the 33s, go with the 4.10s. As others have mentioned, if you plan to go to 35s, might as well go to 4.56s. That saves you from paying twice as 4.11s are not much fun with 35s.

Quick Reply: 2016 JKU 4.10's Install Question